AG Nut Brown Ale recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveMN

Reaction score
Hi all- I'm working on an American "Nut Brown Ale" recipe that will hopefully remind me of the James Page Burly Brown Ale that I enjoyed in college. I have a few AG batches under my belt, but this will be my darkest beer to date. Beersmith is calculating an OG of 1.055 and 29.1 IBU's. The recipe:
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.0 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.0 %
0.75 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 21.0 IBUs
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 8.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335) [124.21 ml] Yeast 8 -
My efficiency is around 68-70% these days. I'll be fermenting in the basement, which is about 65 F now. Thoughts on the Chocolate/ Roasted Barley amounts? I have the oats in there for body/ mouthfeel- not sure if it's needed. I have some WY1056 sitting around- would that work too? If the stars align, I may brew this on Sunday. Thanks for the help! :)

It seems to me that half a pound each of chocolate malt and roasted barley would make this a lot darker than I would expect a nut brown to be. If I remember correctly the name of the style describes the color.

It looks like if I go down to 3% each (6 oz) on the chocolate and roasted barley, that should do it. Pale Chocolate malt might get me there too. Thanks for the input!

It looks like if I go down to 3% each (6 oz) on the chocolate and roasted barley, that should do it. Pale Chocolate malt might get me there too. Thanks for the input!

Roasted barley is very, well, roasted. Most nut browns have 0 roasted barley- that's more of a stout ingredient.

Are you sure you want to use roasted barley?

Hi Yooper- The description online of the Burly Brown Ale lists 2-row, roasted barley and chocolate malt. I remember a roasty/toasty flavor when I had this beer in the past. However, I see your point. As a first batch, I think I'll take out the roast and try 6% Crystal-60 and 6% Chocolate malt and see how it goes. Thanks!

Pulled a sample last night. 1.008. A little lower than I planned, but missed the mash temp low at 149. Tasted pretty close to what I was looking for. I'll keg it this weekend and see if I want to do anything different next time.
Thanks again for the recipe help!

Back