AG newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimpmeister

Reaction score
I've done several extract brews but I feel like there is more fun to be had and want to try an ag. I was thinking of doing the mash in my 5 gal kettle, using my bottling bucket and a 2nd bucket (drilled for a false bottom) for my lauter tun. I will probably have to use another pan to heat sparge water but was planning to use our 3 gal water cooler to hold that and release it into the lauter tun as needed.
The biggest question I have is after i have collected the wort, can I do 4 gal boil in my brew kettle and use that for my hops and other additions and do a shorter 10-15 minute boil with the remaining wort to sanitize it?

You really want to do a boil of all the wort becase with all grain you will have SMS which will turn to DMS and can make your beer taste like creamed corn.

For a quick and easy way to explore all grain, try a half size batch BIAB. You can use your 5 gallon pot and only have to buy a pair of paint strainer bag to try. That wiil give you just enough space for mashing and a full volume boil. If you decide you hate doing all grain, you have only wasted a few dollars. If yoiu love it you can get a bigger pot and continue with BIAB or go to the conventional mash tun.

Back