AG Brewer needs to fill the pipeline...10 gallon brew question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdogskip

Reaction score
Howdy, long time AG brewer needs lots of beer in a hurry.

I am limited to 5 gallon max batches with 5+ hours of labor. I was considering making a 10 gallon extract batch of an easy pale (Edworts haus pale) with a partial boil in my turkey fryer.

Can I just double the ingredients, partial boil 5 gallons, split between two fermenters, and fill to 5 gallons each? Do I need to worry about hop amounts or will the end result be the same if I just double? Anyone done something like this?

Thanks all, cheers!

Haven't done a large enough batch to try that (kettle is a bit on the small side), but I don't see any reason that wouldn't work. As long as the wort you separate is exactly 50/50 between both fermenters, I don't see a problem.

I'm not an expert, but I believe that a higher gravity (like you have when doing a partial boil) will give you lower hop utilization. You may need to increase your hops to get the right bitterness/aroma profile.

I'm not an expert, but I believe that a higher gravity (like you have when doing a partial boil) will give you lower hop utilization. You may need to increase your hops to get the right bitterness/aroma profile.

I've seen a few topics debating this, but you should be able to get around any concern with a late extract addition- add a few pounds for the full 60 minute boil and then add the remaing at 15 minutes or flame out. A late extract might be a better way to go because it will help prevent carmalization.

I'm going to try doubling on Monday and report back with results, its been a long time since an extract brew, I hope I don't f*ck it up!

Brewdog,
how did this work out for you? I've done it before with a Pale ale recipe and pitched two seperate yeasts giving me an American and a Belgian pale. I simply doubled all ingredients. I chilled via CFC into my 7.9 gallon fermenter and poured half into my 6 gallon carboy. Topped both up to 5 gallons and pitched my different yeasts. I plan to do this again because I got twice the beer for very minimal extra effort and the quality of the beer produced was great.

Back