AG Blonde ale advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derogg

Reaction score
Putting together another blonde ale. Last one was extract.

5 gallon recipe all grain

8 # 2 row
.5 # honey malt
0.5 oz sterling hop 60 min
0.25 oz sterling 20 min
0.25 oz sterling 5 min
Nottingham or US -05 yeast
Single infusion 154 for 60 min - ??

Now the question, I was thinking of some Crystal malt -10L , and maybe some carapils. How much should I use? Any other suggestions or comments would be great. Thanks - Dirk

Don't know how much flavor and color you are looking for, but I would use some crystal if it were me. As far as carapils, you may have enough dextrinous wort at a 154*F mash and my head is usually really good and very residual with just 87% pale 2-row and 13% crystal 40*L. I am wanting to go lighter in my crystal malt next time, but I think you'd be alright with just pale and honey if you wanted to.

Bobby_M said:
I went with .5 lb crystal 10L instead of that honey malt but it ought to be fine as is. Blondes aren't much about complex flavors, just a nice clean finish.

Exactly, I love making blondes for this very reason.

The cara was just sort of thrown in there, I have seen a lot of recipes using it. I don't have any on hand, so I probably will just skip it. Is a pound of crystal 10 too much?

Nah, I just try to stick with between 10-20% being "other than base malt" so you should be fine. You are right, a lot of recipes use dextrinous malts. I say if you are trying to clone something or you lik ethe taste it gives you go for it, otherwise I like most simple beers without.

I do variations of blondes all the time. They're pretty forgiving.

As long as you stay at the "crisper" end of the profile...you can't really go wrong.

I do usually try and mash at 150 for my blondes to keep them a little dryer.

See my sig for my Centennial Blonde and you'll see that I add a few different specialties.

I know that the notingham yeast really ferments out nice and clean. I figure that would give me a pretty crisp taste.
I have never been that precise on my mash temps, so I figured 154 was a good ball park figure. I have a new thermometer on it's way, now I can, start playing with mash temps. Hard to believe that a couple of degrees either way would make that big of a change? Thanks for all the advice!! - Dirk

I think it Nottingham can give a lager like feel to an ale. I have not used any for a while, but I remember the beer being clean in flavor. It was a mexican ale clone, (Bohemia) and was enjoyed by the BMC crowd. I think US-05 is the same type of yeast? hope that helps. - Dirk

Latest posts

Back