Aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoPhunk

Reaction score
So I just got done bottling my first beer. It was a brewer's best English Pale Ale. I brewed on 12/5/2010. I racked to secondary the following week (mainly because I wanted to free up my fermenter) I tried the beer, even though it's not carbonated or refrigerated and it was real weak upfront (I didn't have a big enough pot when I boiled so my boil was only like 2 gallons) I could taste the hops on the back but the after taste was almost like dirt. It just had a tongue coating dirty taste on the end.

What would cause that? I didn't expect much out of this batch but I would like to know so I dont make that mistake again.

As always thanks in advance for the replies

you are probably just tasting beer that still has a ton of yeast in it. You sampled it when it was REALLY young, so I wouldn't form an opinion on it just yet.

In the future, I would suggest at least 3 weeks of time in the fermenter before you bottle it.

Give this one time. I'm sure the flavor will change a LOT over the next few weeks.

That's what I was hoping. Like I said I wasn't really worried because of how much I learned from brewing the first batch. It's bottled and hopefully I'll be able to drink it while watching the Bears playoff game.

Thanks for the fast reply

Definately sounds like green beer. The hoppiness will fade some with time. You'd be surprised what a week can do to flavor. When did you bottle it? With the 1st round bye, it should be good to go by then. Try one per 5-7 days just so you can see how it matures/carbonates over time. Its good for learning 1st hand what what is going on. Be careful though, you could end up with one or two that foam over because the CO2 hasn't absorbed into the beer yet.

Cracked open one of the "dirty" beers last night and the dirt aftertaste has subsided quite a bit. It should be drinkable by the bears game. I'm gonna keep opening one every 3-4 days to see how the carbonation goes as this is my first brew and I may as well learn as much as I can from it.

Latest posts

Back