After Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbo404

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After primary fermentation, can i just throw the stuff at the bottom down the drain? I know i could Reuse the yeast by washing it and all but im not looking to do that this time.

yes thats fine, or put it on the compost heap.

Doesn't look that good in the flowerbeds as mulch, looks like some animal has been very ill.

If it's Kveik yeast you could dry some for reuse, see David Heath Video on doing this. But you'll still need to chuck the rest.

If I'm not going to reuse my yeast I just flush it; I don't have a garbage disposal otherwise I would do that. I think it's good for the environment as well, more yeast in the sewage system to break down...unmentionables.

But why not re-use it? If you had a healthy fermentation, you can just jar up the slurry in a sanitized mason jar, refrigerate, and use it for your next batch, without washing (which I agree is a PITA). Especially if your next brew has a higher SG than the current one, you're starting with proven yeast that will take off fast and finish clean. Or just use half of it. I do it all the time and never have issues, as long as I keep track of the generations and never go over four re-uses.

I’ve been toying with using some of my brew yeast cake to add to one of my sour dough starters to see how they play together on one off loaf bakes. Might be interesting to reserve some spent grains from the batch to incorporate. Wish I read this thread earlier, I dumped the grains two weeks ago and the yeast this morning on a Guiness clone. Might have been fun to bake an Irish stout loaf.

I’ve been toying with using some of my brew yeast cake to add to one of my sour dough starters to see how they play together on one off loaf bakes. Might be interesting to reserve some spent grains from the batch to incorporate. Wish I read this thread earlier, I dumped the grains two weeks ago and the yeast this morning on a Guiness clone. Might have been fun to bake an Irish stout loaf.

From what I understand, the grain from dark beers isn't the best for making bread, the roasted barley isn't good as it is already "burnt", try to stick with the grains from lighter beers. Just as a guess, beers that use a larger portion of crystal malts would probably be better.

I used the kveik yeast from a stout recipe to make some bread. Didn't use any of the grains and the bread didn't rise great.

More loaf of lead than loaf of bread. But taste was good and actually sliced thin ( about 5mm) and dried out made a great dipping cracker with a ummami taste.

Be a little careful about dumping your trub outside. Hops can be toxic to some animal species, especially dogs.

I have started tossing all my solids/trub from brewing and fermenting in my backyard. I had a bad experience on a brew day recently after putting my kettle trub down the kitchen drain. It just suddenly and completely backed up, and I couldn't unclog it no matter what I tried. I ended up having to get a plumber to come out and clear it out, which cost a few hundred dollars.

The plumber said it was just years of food build-up in the drain, so it probably wasn't related to the small amounts of hop particles and grain that I dumped, but it just got me paranoid about dumping any of my brewing/fermenting remnants down there. A friend suggested that it may have just been all the water that I was running down the drain using my Steam Slayer and wort chiller that loosened up build-up on the walls of the drain and caused it all to clog up. That makes sense, but I have just decided to dump all my brewing waste in the backyard.

Back