After-draft flavor additives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whittsend

Reaction score
I have been brewing kits for a while, but have never added extracts or funky things above and beyond what the kit recipe calls for. Recently, I had a beer called “Gorpe Diem” (Avery brewery in Boulder, CO) and it was outstanding. Here is a description of Avery’s beer: "Gorpe Diem is an imperial Bourbon barrel-aged stout brewed with flaked oats, lactose, cacao nibs, raisin puree and natural peanut flavor. This GORP hiking snack-inspired beer will roll in at 16%-AbV…" I am sort of hoping to copy this flavor if possible with some sort of flavor addition. No idea if it will work or not....

I currently am in the secondary ferment stage (ready to keg) on a bourbon barrel ale kit. This kit has been exceptional in the past, but I would like to try to intensify the flavor to see if I can get something similar to the Gorpe Diem… So my question… Since I’m past the boil and ferment stages, and since I don’t want to potentially ruin the whole keg of beer if I don’t like my additions, I’m thinking of taking some of those “extra flavors” (cacao nibs, raisins, peanuts, maybe lactose?) and blending up with bourbon (or soaking in bourbon?) and adding a small amount to each draft to taste, if desired.

Thoughts, recommendations or advice on "flavor bombing" my ale? Thanks, and cheers!

Mike

Welcome to HBT !

I'd skip the lactose in tincture making . I use cocao nibs soaked in vodka or Bourbon often . Toss some nibs , raisins and peanuts in a jar , cover with Bourbon and leave in your closet for a bit . Try different amounts ( ml ) in each pint . Once you find the flavor your looking for you'll know how much to add per keg in the future . You could also keep track of how many pints you have left in the keg then add the right amount of tincture per pints in the keg.

This will give you and idea of what I'm talking about . You don't need anything this big as this is for a 2bbl batch . 20211206_163328.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, great suggestions. I appreciate you! Would you think I should chop, blend, or grind my additives first before soaking in bourbon? I'm definitely looking forward to experimenting with this. Hoping for some good flavors to shine through, maybe a slight change of mouthfeel, and a little added sweetness from the raisins.

BTW, that's one big a$$ erlenmeyer. :D

I've never used raisins or peanuts in my brew before so I'm not sure . I'd probably chop up the peanuts and raisins though. The nibs are already chopped . I think some people add lactose right into the keg . I add to the end of the boil. It will give you mouthfeel. Lactose is un fermentable. I use 1# in my 5.5 g batches .

Yeah it's huge . Only use it at the brewery. It's overkill at home .

Back