After bottling, do you ever shake up the bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrouStang96

Reaction score
I noticed that I have noticeable sediment at the bottom of my bottles after a week of conditioning. I realize this is more than likely just fine, but is there any benefit in shaking things up a bit to induce a better or faster carbonation? Or should you just bottle and let it sit still?

I never have. And i wonder if you used just a bit too much sugar and had excessive carbonation, if shaking them up might be just enough to get into bottle bomb territory? Or if it might have been a bottle bomb later, it would instead be one while shaken in your hand?!:eek: :eek: :eek:

During the first week after bottling, I agitate my bottles once a day. I turn them upside down gently once or twice, and set them back down. I started doing this after a stout failed to carbonate. I haven't had any trouble with this new method, and in fact, I think it helps the beer to carbonate more quickly.

Just be gentle about it, and you'll be fine.

I shove mine in the storage room and don't give them a second thought for 3-4 weeks. My storage room is a constant 70F all year. Never had a carbonation problem.

Never shaken, inverted, or rolled bottles that are carbing, and they all turned out just fine.

Back