After a 5 gallon keg is tapped, how long is the beer good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bigins

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm thinking of both making a keg fridge with a smaller fridge I have, and making and buying 5 gallon kegs of beer. But I first need to know how many days is a 5 gallon keg of beer good for once it's tapped?

And is it the same with a 3 gallon keg?

Well they're not good for long if you drink beer like me and especially if you have friends over. Then they're good for one day!

:drunk:

Seriously, they will be gone long before they go bad. It's only 5 gallons which is about two cases of beer. How long does it take you to drink that much? With refrigeration, CO2, and alcohol, the stuff tends to hold pretty well. As a matter of fact, homebrew tends to taste better with some age on it.

:mug:

Since you are putting CO2 into the keg, the oxidation problems you might have seen with commercial kegs is not an issue. I've had kegs in my kegger for 4-6 months without any problem.

Ok, cool. Times between tapping and emptying will vary. Except during the football season. I'm getting NFL Network HD this year. :ban:

:mug:

Thanks! :rockin:

Back