Afraid to drill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dockmasterjc

Reaction score
I got all my parts in to make my tower kegerator. I have a Haier model bc 110 withthe freezer on top. I bent the freezer section down very carefully, now I have to drill or cut the top for my tower. I have to try the cornstarch and vodka trick, but if it doesn't work, anyone have any suggestions? I would hate it if I hit a line when drilling or attaching the tower with self tapping screws. Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!:mug:

Some fridges don't even have a line running along the very top of them. Just do the cornstarch and vodca trick. Stay a good distance away from the line and relax! What I was actually planning to do was use the hole saw to drill the hole through the top layer, then stop and pull off the top layer and poke the insulation to check for any coolant lines.

As far as the screws for the tower go you should be able to position the screws at somewhere around 2,4,8, and 10 oclock. That way you won't have a screw as close as possible to the back of the fridge. Either way you should have lots of room to work with.

When I did mine I found it was quicker and easier to just feel the top of the fridge. Less than a minute after plugging it in, the line was pretty warm and easy to feel through the metal top.

I know this is a wild shot in the dark but do you recall finding any lines around the main opening? I got one of these for free and want to turn it into a fermentation chamber. To do this I want to screw in a wooden collar, like with a keezer. I doubt I'll get a response but this is the only post I've found for this model on the entire Internet. I'll probably just have to do the paste test or take it to the FD for a thermal scan.

Back