Aerator and blowoff setup for Grainfather Conical Fermenter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetal

Reaction score
Hello... I am a newbie brewer. Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question. I am thinking of moving from my 6.5 gallon plastic bucket fermenter to a new Grainfather Conical fermenter. I am looking to brew a Belgian Tripel for the first time. I have heard that the fermentation can be quite active for these "big" beers. Does the grainfather conical fermenter have a blow-off tube setup? I dont think a simple airlock would suffice - any thoughts? Also - if I need to aerate the wort in the initial period - is there some way to insert a stone/ aerator tube into the fermenter? From the literature on Grainfather conical - it seems to just have a simple rubber bung with a single hole for an airlock.
Also any thoughts on the SS Brewtech 7 Gallon Chronical fermenter?

I found this while looking into it . When I use carboys I just slip a piece of hose through the bung hole and the other end to a jar . This could work for you as well .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191225-110839_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20191225-110839_Samsung Internet.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 120
Thanks guys ! Sounds like an idea. How about aerating the wort during initial fermentation?

Thanks guys ! Sounds like an idea. How about aerating the wort during initial fermentation?

Just to add to this, DO NOT aerate your beer while it is fermenting. DO aerate the wort just before pitching yeast :)

If you want to take it up a notch, get a mixer you can attach to a drill and use that to aerate your wort before pitching. I picked one up that is usually used for mixing concrete and things like that.

Hello... I am a newbie brewer. Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question. I am thinking of moving from my 6.5 gallon plastic bucket fermenter to a new Grainfather Conical fermenter. I am looking to brew a Belgian Tripel for the first time. I have heard that the fermentation can be quite active for these "big" beers. Does the grainfather conical fermenter have a blow-off tube setup? I dont think a simple airlock would suffice - any thoughts? Also - if I need to aerate the wort in the initial period - is there some way to insert a stone/ aerator tube into the fermenter? From the literature on Grainfather conical - it seems to just have a simple rubber bung with a single hole for an airlock.
Also any thoughts on the SS Brewtech 7 Gallon Chronical fermenter?

How, being a new brewer, have you determined that a conical will improve your brewing? How much experience do you have in brewing that you want to brew a Belgian Tripel and feel that you will be successful with it? I'd suggest you stick with the bucket fermenter unless you have a specific need for the conical that you can explain to us.

Found this thread when I was looking for blow off options for the Grainfather conical which I got used and had to fix up.

Just had to respond to the previous post. I've been doing this on and off since 1999 when I got a simple homebrew kit. Instead of trying to scare folks away by questioning why the "beginner" brewer was getting a conical or "experience" to brew a Belgian Tripel. You don't learn unless you try and frankly making a Tripel isn't all that much more difficult from brewing that first NB Pale Ale extract kit I did 20 plus years ago. Yeah it's some more ingredients, you have to pitch a bit more yeast, and boil a bit longer, but why is a Tripel so much harder to brew. Even doing all grain isn't that much more difficult, just need some more equipment and patience.

Lets not try to overcomplicate brewing beer, it can be as complicated or as simple as we want to make it and the finished product isn't all that much different. I think some of us have made beer and the hobby a lot more complicated than it needs to be. Things like the Grainfather have actually made the process significantly easier.

If someone responded to one of my question like that above when I first started, I might have just been scared away from the hobby. Forums like this helped me learn a lot in the 20 some years since I started. Lets help instead of discourage those new(er) to the hobby.

As the adage goes "relax and have a homebrew".

Latest posts

Back