Aerator and blowoff setup for Grainfather Conical Fermenter.

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Vetal

Reaction score
Hello... I am a newbie brewer. Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question. I am thinking of moving from my 6.5 gallon plastic bucket fermenter to a new Grainfather Conical fermenter. I am looking to brew a Belgian Tripel for the first time. I have heard that the fermentation can be quite active for these "big" beers. Does the grainfather conical fermenter have a blow-off tube setup? I dont think a simple airlock would suffice - any thoughts? Also - if I need to aerate the wort in the initial period - is there some way to insert a stone/ aerator tube into the fermenter? From the literature on Grainfather conical - it seems to just have a simple rubber bung with a single hole for an airlock.
Also any thoughts on the SS Brewtech 7 Gallon Chronical fermenter?

OP
V

Vetal

Reaction score
Thanks guys ! Sounds like an idea. How about aerating the wort during initial fermentation?

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use a big plastic spoon and mix it until it foams up then pitch the yeast , Never had an issue doing it this way.

Banjorium

Reaction score
Thanks guys ! Sounds like an idea. How about aerating the wort during initial fermentation?
Just to add to this, DO NOT aerate your beer while it is fermenting. DO aerate the wort just before pitching yeast :)

If you want to take it up a notch, get a mixer you can attach to a drill and use that to aerate your wort before pitching. I picked one up that is usually used for mixing concrete and things like that.

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello... I am a newbie brewer. Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question. I am thinking of moving from my 6.5 gallon plastic bucket fermenter to a new Grainfather Conical fermenter. I am looking to brew a Belgian Tripel for the first time. I have heard that the fermentation can be quite active for these "big" beers. Does the grainfather conical fermenter have a blow-off tube setup? I dont think a simple airlock would suffice - any thoughts? Also - if I need to aerate the wort in the initial period - is there some way to insert a stone/ aerator tube into the fermenter? From the literature on Grainfather conical - it seems to just have a simple rubber bung with a single hole for an airlock.
Also any thoughts on the SS Brewtech 7 Gallon Chronical fermenter?
How, being a new brewer, have you determined that a conical will improve your brewing? How much experience do you have in brewing that you want to brew a Belgian Tripel and feel that you will be successful with it? I'd suggest you stick with the bucket fermenter unless you have a specific need for the conical that you can explain to us.

Latest posts