Aeration when repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surface_Tension

Reaction score
I'm tried the AHBS bavarian hefeweizen and made a few mistakes.

I didn't really aerate the wort other than the splashing through the funnel into the carboy.

I also tried to proof the dry yeast (per John Palmer which I now know is not necessary) but didn't see any activity but pitched anyway since I didn't have any extra packs. I only used one pack (Danstar Munich) too; yes I know I should go ahead and use two.

It has been 36 hours and no activity yet, which I know isn't all that long, but the batches I've done so far have been from a liquid yeast starter and have taken off pretty fast.

My questions are:

Should I go ahead and repitch dry yeast, one pack or two?

Should I aerate when I repitch? I've got access to O2 and could bubble some in the carboy without too much trouble.

If no dry yeast is available should I try a liquid yeast, like a Wheast 3068? I'm pretty sure the LHBS has that, but doesn't open until tomorrow (today is Sunday).

I know I'm being a little impatient, but I've really developed a taste for the hefe and am hoping this one turns out good. I'm trying Edworts hefe next.

Please be gentle, I'm a newbie...obviously LOL

Dave

I didn't really aerate the wort other than the splashing through the funnel into the carboy.

The splashing should provide enough oxygen, so don't worry about that. One 11gm pack of dry yeast should be plenty.

If the dry yeast doesn't take off by tomorrow, Wyeast 3068 is the perfect yeast for that recipe. Smack the pack as soon as you pay for it and it should puff up by the time you get it home. It's a really rambunctious yeast; you shouldn't need to aerate, just pitch.

Here's to fresh hefeweizen!:mug:

When you say no activity, are you judging just from looking at it or have you taken a hydrometer sample? I would give it another day or so before I even started to worry. Yeast can take off slow sometimes.

Hopefully I'll see something by tomorrow if not I'll go with the 3068 straight in. I'm probably just being a little impatient and its also the first time I have tried dry yeast, so I'm a little worried I might have whacked my yeasty friends somehow.

By no activity I mean no apparent CO2 production yet. I haven't taken a hydrometer sample yet so I guess I should. I don't have a thief yet and am not too good at racking to get a sample so rather than risking infection I'll just leave it alone and pull one tomorrow.

I feel like I did a pretty good job with sanitation when I got it started so I guess there isn't too much of a down side to waiting a day or two right?

Thanks.

Dave

Back