Aeration methods and required times as explained by Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am new to the aquarium pump and aeration stone method, but have used it in my last two brews. Posters from this forum as well as others seem to recommend using the pump and stone for anywhere from 1/2 to 1 hour before pitching. However, a mycologist at Wyeast recommends a time of only 5 min to get to 8 ppm O2 in this video. Even though 10-15 ppm is probably the norm, I would assume you could reach that amount with approx. 10 min of aeration. So why are so many guys aerating for so much longer? Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
very cool info.

He mentioned that you could only get to 8ppm with normal Air. you'd have to use pure O2 and a stone, or like he said, fill the headspace of your carboy with pure O2 and shake to get the 12-15 ppm of O2 in your Wort.
As for everyone else I dont know why they choose to aerate so long if you cant reach a saturation of over 8ppm with Air..I just run my wort through a strainer before it spashes into the bucket and im just fine with that (at least I havent had any issues)
although Im looking into getting a air pump or Pure O2\ system soon.

Back