Aeration concerns!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ladymilch

Reaction score
So my very first wheat batch is fermenting, we're about a week in. I haven't seen much activity in the fermentation tube, so im concerned i did something wrong. To aerate before i sealed up the container, i shook it back and forth. What can happen if i didn't do it enough?

Insufficient aeration will lead to a slow start on fermentation.

Airlock/blowoff tube activity is not a good indicator of fermentation. Take a specific gravity reading and take a taste.

I have never had issues with aeration. I just splash it around a lot as it drains from brew kettle to the point that I have a solid 6 to 8 inches of foam on top right before pitching yeast.

It's probably fine. Shaking the fermenter should be enough for aeration. Take gravity readings to know how fermentation is going. Bubbles in the airlock/blowoff tube aren't a very accurate way to judge fermentation. My last batch turned out fine and I never saw a single bubble in the airlock

Thanks for all of the good feedback. I recently purchased "the whip " so I shouldn't have a problem again.

Rattyboh: im worried about contamination in my batch, but as long as I sanitize hydromemter and test container im ok right? Do i dump beer that is tested? Or can i pour it back in fermentor?

Don't dump back into fermenter IMO. Chill it in freezer and drink. Won't taste great uncarbed/green, but gives you an idea of how it will turn out.

What's the OG of your brew?

You can drink the sample and it won't quite be carbonated beer but it's also something not a lot of people get to try!

If you first batch is 1 week old...... don't do anything. Don't test it. Don't look at it. Try not to think about it.

In another week, you can start taking gravity readings.

I too have had batches ferment out great without a single bubble. Although I will admit that looking back,I'm sure it was some fault of my process at the time in dealing with the yeast properly.
Anyway,I always sanitize my clean hydrometer & tube before any testing. The OG sample goes back into the fermenter,any other samples get taste tested. As long as your test tube & hydroemeter are clean & sanitized,returning the sample is safe if done quickly,imo. Never got an infection from doing it. Just use a little common sense. I also wait till 2-3 weeks now to start FG readings.

My OG=1.056, i took a sample today (day 10) and the reading was 1.011. Im adjusting for temp don't worry ;). So right now i guess im at ~4.75%abv. This recipe was supposed to ferment for 1-2 weeks and OG was supposed to be 1.043... It looks like yeast has sunk back into batch as there is a ring around the sides. See image below.

ForumRunner_20130630_141128.jpg

Really?! Omg im so excited! Ill take another reading tomorrow or next day and if the same, a bottling' i will go!

Really?! Omg im so excited! Ill take another reading tomorrow or next day and if the same, a bottling' i will go!

Yep. That ring of gunk around the bucket is from the krausen, the clear(ish) beer means the krausen's fallen back, and the 1.011 FG is fine for the style. Definitely check the FG again to make sure it's stable, but everything sounds fine. :mug:

"Really?! Omg im so excited! Ill take another reading tomorrow or next day and if the same, a bottling' i will go!"

Seriously... you should just slow down. I know you are excited, but rushing beer to the bottle isn't a good plan. Your beer will improve greatly from week 1 to week 2 to week 3 and often beyond.

I'm at the point where I let it get down to a stable FG (however long that takes). Then settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling.

Back