Aeration and degassing questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustAnAnvil

Reaction score
So I'm about ready to begin my first batch of mead (everything finally came in huzzah!) And I don't have much of a good idea on how to aerate the mead without getting actual equipment. I considered shaking my 1 gallon batches but I'm unsure if that'll damage the yeast. I can get those paint stir sticks or I have whisks I could use to stir up the mix?

And then I'm not even what degassing is or how to do it or for how often?

For aerating small jugs shake it like it owes you money. Degassing (stirring gently) use whatever sanitized long poker you can dig up - a BBQ stainless skewer or something.

Shake it like it owes me money, got it

And degassing is just slowly stirring for a few minutes?

Yep aeration is just as the word implies. Yeast nead oxygen to reproduce and in early ferment they are aerobic. Then at about 1/3 to 1/2 sugar break the go anerobic and air is not beneficial. Yeast get stressed from CO2 and you can stir to release the CO2 it also helps suspend some of the yeast that settle.

Back