Aerating the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeeferMan

Reaction score
I am extract brewing using partial boils (2.5 gallons). When I add it to my chilled H20 in the carboy is that sufficient to aerate it?

I always shake it up, plug the top and give it a workout for a minute. I just slide it on the countertop back and forth.

I always shake it up, plug the top and give it a workout for a minute. I just slide it on the countertop back and forth.

I do a similar thing. Just tip it back and forth on the floor for about a minute or so. Never have any problems with lag time.

I have a paint-stirring paddle to attach to my cordless drill.

On 'Basic Brewing' podcast (which I highly recommend) one of thier regular cohorts did a test on aeration. He measured the oxygen content after doing several different methods. Just transfering the wort via siphon tube and letting it splash as it goes in the carboy got the bulk of the O2 in there. It became increasingly more difficult to get more O2 in solution after that. Even when aerating out of an O2 tank it didnt get much higher. I just transfer, and slosh around some. No lag problems.

Since I do partial boils, when I add water to my wort I use the sprayer attachment from the kitchen sink right into the fermentation bucket where my wort is waiting. I've had good luck with this however those who like to use "purified" water to add to the wort can not use this method.

I use a technique picked up from here and slightly modified:

Use an auto siphon, racking tube, and 4" piece of racking cane with a small hole in the side of it - wort flows through in the same order. Via the venturi effect, air is sucked in the hole at a very high rate. There's a good deal of foam in the carboy after using this technique.

Next time I brew (after christmas) I'll take pictures of the setup. It works well and is super easy.

I sanitize a big ladle or a 1 quart stock pot, and spend about 5 minutes scooping up wort and dumping it back into my brew kettle, splashing and making bubbles as much as possible. I start doing this during the last stage of cooling, when the temp gets below 100 degrees, before I reach pitching temps. Then I dump it into my carboy. It works great for me.

once I have the wort cooled to 75 ish

I take a big whisk and beat the heck out of it

make lots of foam for like 2 - 3 min

then I pitch the yeast

always works for me

:rockin:

A whisk does a great job. But I can't find one that will stand up to sanitizers and also doesn't have places in the handle for bugs to hide. Since I use bottled water, I usually pour half a jug then shake the tar out of the remainder.

Finding a way aerate the wort on its way to the fermenter sounds like a good approach.

Back