Aerating the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dierythmus

Reaction score
Hi All,

I remember a while back seeing a pictorial of someone who put their cooled wort into a bottling bucket and then aerated by elevating the bottling bucket, opening the spigot and letting it fall into the primary.

Is this process better/more effective than simply rocking the primary back and forth a bit (which is what I've always done)?

Regardless of the method of aeration they all accomplish the same thing. Its really what works best for the brewer. For me if it's under 3 gallons I'll pick it up and shake it. If it's more than three gallons I pour it back and forth between two buckets a few times.

Hi All,

I remember a while back seeing a pictorial of someone who put their cooled wort into a bottling bucket and then aerated by elevating the bottling bucket, opening the spigot and letting it fall into the primary.

Is this process better/more effective than simply rocking the primary back and forth a bit (which is what I've always done)?

dont know i always shake it. it may be a little better but i never tried. to me its just another container you have to make sure is bug free :)

I got one of those 5 gallon paint mixers from home depot. Costs a few dollars and saves my back. Seems to work pretty well.

Thanks guys.

Just for my information - what are the consequences of not aerating the wort? Will the yeast not be as productive?

Yeast need oxygen for sterol synthesis. Without sterols the cell membrane is not as permeable. Which means the yeast can't get as much sugar as they would like. As a result they can't complete processes. So you get more byproducts, less yeast growth and potentially a stalled fermentation.

Hi All,

That will work for you but as it drains you may want to take a sanitized stirrer and agitate the wort in the bucket a few times also.

You can only get to a certain level of O2 density in wort when using air to go beyond it you need to use pure 02. All the aeration methods are basically the same as long as you are thorough until you start using pure 02. And YES 02 is very important for yeast reproductions and growth.

I find that, if you're using the shake method, you are better off vigorously shaking half of the carboy's capacity worth of wort with a sanitized foil top. Remove the foil every once in awhile and rock the container, so that air can circulate. After about a solid minute or two of this, pour it back into a sanitized bucket.

Repeat the same process with the other half volume of your wort. Finally, add everything together, pitch the yeast, give a swirl, and cap with an airlock. Your wort should be well oxygenated, with several inches of foam atop the wort, and have no problems with attenuating assuming the other factors that matter are on point (such as yeast health & pitch rate, successful mashing, nutrient concentration, optional use of simple sugars for an added boost, etc.)

Sometimes I aerate my wort by using my siphon and just pumping air into the primary. Probably isn't as effective as just rocking the fermentor back and forth.

Sometimes I aerate my wort by using my siphon and just pumping air into the primary. Probably isn't as effective as just rocking the fermentor back and forth.

That's a pretty creative idea. Wonder if there would be a way to attach an aeration stone to the end of it.

I've noticed significant fermentation improvements after buying an aerator kit. Not one of the options listed in the OP but I think it's money well spent. To me, anything that replaces a "maybe" in my process is of great value.

Latest posts

Back