Aerating The Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirefightingBrewer

Reaction score
I have been brewing beer for a year and my aeration techniques have consisted of whisking the wort, along with shaking the primary until my arms feel like they are about to fall off.

I have access to oxygen tanks and regulators that are used to treat medical patients and was wondering if I am able to connect an aeration stone to this, would it work? The regulator has settings for 2lpm - 15lpm, I am just concerned that those flows would not force out through the small holes in the stone?

Has anyone else done this? And if so, what flow rate should I use and for how long? Trying to get feedback before dropping $40 on an aeration stone that may not work.

i do it all the time. you can push air through the stone at 2lpm. i put it to about 8 for about a minute. i have no idea if thats too little or too much.

Guess I will be placing my order for the aeration stone on Monday then.

I assume you are getting good results with the one minute aeration? Is there such a thing as too much aeration?

The oxygen tanks you have access to should work fine. I'd suggest using one of these instead of just using a stone connected to some tubing.

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/22-AERATION-WAND-P490.aspx

The steel wand is easy to sanitize and it will prevent the stone from flopping around once you turn on the gas.

Set the flow rate to whatever gives you a nice steady stream of bubbles into your wort and keep it going for at least 30-seconds. You can aerate it for longer if you want but I've read that 30-seconds of pure 02 is enough for average beers.

35 bucks for that? on top of the 40 bucks for the wand and aerator? Man I made my own wand 5 years ago using just a broken piece of racking cane and a piece of tubing as a "bridge" connector between the stone and the plastic tube.

Save that 35 bucks for ingredients, and spend 2 dollars for a racking cane, and cut it off just before the bend. Then cut a 1" piece of vinyl tubing, put it on the bottom of the wand, and slip on the stone.

I've never had a problem with it.

This is what aggravated me the most about my last AG batch of beer. I bought one of those aquarium pumps and an aluminum aeration stone from NB. It worked fine for two batches of beer. On this last batch the stone quit passing air. I took the stone off and just tried pumping air through the plastic tubing and found that it would not bubble below about a two inch depth of the wort. So, I put a plug in the hole of the carboy, picked it up and shook the snot out of it, pitched my yeast, and got the most active fermentation yet. It was within a couple of inches of needing a blowoff tube. This was only 1.060 wort. Not a lightweight, but not a big beer either. It makes me wonder if this oxygenation/aeration thing isn't just a little overworked. However, I agree that 30 to 60 seconds from an O2 bottle would be easier than rockin' the baby. BTW I have sanitized this air stone by boiling each time I have used it.

Revvy,

Seven was sharing an alternative to just the stone. The item he shared is the wand and stone combined, you don't need both I think. Aeration stones that I had been shopping for are roughly the same price so I might as well get the stone and wand combo thingee.

I have not had issues with brews in the past and all have had relatively good fermentations. I am just trying to simplify the process, call me lazy..LOL. As I grow and learn as a "brewer" I want to try and experiment with things.

Seven,

That is a 0.2 micron aeration stone which seems to be for aquarium pumps. I am using a medical oxygen bottle and regulator, will it still work. I see that the 0.5 aeration stone is for compressed systems, guess I am just looking for more clarification on which one I should get.

Also, looking online the prices of the stones are far cheaper than my LHBS? WTF? Why would they charge me $39. Usually they have competitive pricing so I am surprised at the price difference.

Seven,

That is a 0.2 micron aeration stone which seems to be for aquarium pumps. I am using a medical oxygen bottle and regulator, will it still work. I see that the 0.5 aeration stone is for compressed systems, guess I am just looking for more clarification on which one I should get.

The wand with the 2 micron stone works great with oxygen in my experience. I got the complete kit (wand and oxygen regulator) for my birthday and I've been using it to aerate with oxygen ever since. No more aerating by shaking the carboy/bucket until my arms fall off. :)

Since you already have the oxygen tanks and regulator all you need is the wand and some tubing. Just avoid handling the stone with your bare hands because oils from your skin will clog the pores on the stone and render it useless.

a stone at northern brewer is 13.99. i run a piece of tubing(not sure exact size) from regulator, hook up my stone and good to go. i don't use a cane.

make sure you soak your stone in oxyclean once in awhile or it will get clogged. my stone was clogged once and when i was aerating my wort it popped off from the pressure build up. had to leave it in my carboy for three weeks before i transferred to keg.

The oxygen system from Williams uses a 2 micron stone, not .2 micron.

WILLIAM'S OXYGEN AERATION SYSTEM @ Williams Brewing

Does it really matter if it's 2 micron or .2 micron? I already have a 2 micron stone that I use with an aquarium pump. I have a spare racking cane and tubing. So I plan to just buy the valve for $20 and make my own system as Revvy described.

Northcalais40 said:
No offense, but using bottled oxygen seems a bit like drinking bottled water. They're giving that stuff away for free ya know.

I use the bottled stuff and I know where your coming from but I use it to save time. Atmosphere oxygen is only what? 19% oxygen? Don't know for sure that percentage, but if you have a 100% oxygen source you don't have to aerate that long to get the desired ppm. I only have to aerate for 50 seconds and I'm good. I have the Williams system too and it works great.

EDIT: 20.95% oxygen. Lol just looked it up.

I use this:

Siphon Spray Wort Aerator | MoreBeer

Some people hate it. I think I paid $2 for it. When I rack to my carboy, I gravity feed from about 4 feet above the carboy using an auto-siphon. I get a nice spray from the aerator tip. I just keep the tip above the level of liquid in the carboy until I'm about 90% through the wort, then I lower it to make sure not to break siphon. I shake and pitch just to distribute (not till my arms fall off) and I've never had a problem... but.. well, YMMV. :)

I bought one of the Williams Brewing Aeration Wands and love it. It's so much easier than the stone I used for years. No more having to deal with sanitizing the stone and avoiding touching it where it goes into the beer. I keep my wand in a tube I made of PVC tubing filled with StarSan and it's ready to go.

No offense, but using bottled oxygen seems a bit like drinking bottled water. They're giving that stuff away for free ya know.

Yes, air is free, but the maximum amount of oxygen you can get in your wort using an air pump or by shaking is 8 ppm. I've been using a deep water aquarium pump and a 2 micron stainless steel stone to aerate my wort for several years. It works fine up to the limit of saturation it is capable of. Plenty of research shows, however, that beer is improved when yeast have a higher concentration of oxygen during the growth phase immediately after pitching. The only way you can achieve the higher concentrations of oxygen needed is by injecting pure oxygen.

Yes, air is free, but the maximum amount of oxygen you can get in your wort using an air pump or by shaking is 8 ppm. I've been using a deep water aquarium pump and a 2 micron stainless steel stone to aerate my wort for several years. It works fine up to the limit of saturation it is capable of. Plenty of research shows, however, that beer is improved when yeast have a higher concentration of oxygen during the growth phase immediately after pitching. The only way you can achieve the higher concentrations of oxygen needed is by injecting pure oxygen.

while i do appreciate and understand this, if I am still reaching my projected final gravity with average beers, is this pure oxygen system still necessary? or should I just hold off until I plan to go for a few high gravity beers?

I think it is cool that you guys are taking a (mad?) scientific approach to brewing. I take a carpenter in his basement approach to brewing.

BTW, When the ppm of anything is the variable holding down the quality of my beer, I'll be satisfied.

while i do appreciate and understand this, if I am still reaching my projected final gravity with average beers, is this pure oxygen system still necessary? or should I just hold off until I plan to go for a few high gravity beers?

No, I would say it is not necessary. It's just another technique that you can apply that has a potential to improve your beer.

It's not all about reaching your final gravity. It can make a difference how you get there. Yeast that has access to higher levels of dissolved oxygen during the initial growth phase will have a shorter lag time and produce fewer off flavors.

Wyeast Laboratories : Home Enthusiasts : Brewers : Technical Information : Oxygenation

it is NOT necessary. i've been making great beers with out it. however it may very well make your beer better. i have read posts from much more experienced brewers that oxygenating (as opposed to aerating) has resulted in better beers.

I think it is cool that you guys are taking a (mad?) scientific approach to brewing. I take a carpenter in his basement approach to brewing.

BTW, When the ppm of anything is the variable holding down the quality of my beer, I'll be satisfied.

if you are taking the carpenter in his basement approach (probably close to my approach) to brewing, then the pure oxygen and oxygen stone is probably not something you need.

i was at walmart last night and saw an "air bubble stone" for an aquarium. why can't i just use this?

You can, and I'm pretty sure people have. Just have to make sure that it doesn't fall apart or melt or whatever if you boil it (to sanitize). That's what is nice about the stainless ones. You're still going to want to push oxygen through it rather than air.

I just bought a Gulfstream Oxygen Regulator & Stone for $29.
Which seemed a bit pricey to me, but I wanted to make sure I got a good 316 Stainless stone and at the time it was right there in front of me on the shelf.
Impulse buy I guess.

I liked that it had the regulator for fine adjustments. I already have a couple oxygen tanks for my oxy acetylene torches. I am planning on hooking this setup to my O2 Regulator.

My question is do you have to back flush the stone to clean them? PBW / Oxyclean soak good enough? Do you rinse the cleaner off the stone doing a flush from the inside out? It would suck to use it once or twice and it get clogged up.
Thanks

I just bought a Gulfstream Oxygen Regulator & Stone for $29.
Which seemed a bit pricey to me, but I wanted to make sure I got a good 316 Stainless stone and at the time it was right there in front of me on the shelf.
Impulse buy I guess.

I liked that it had the regulator for fine adjustments. I already have a couple oxygen tanks for my oxy acetylene torches. I am planning on hooking this setup to my O2 Regulator.

My question is do you have to back flush the stone to clean them? PBW / Oxyclean soak good enough? Do you rinse the cleaner off the stone doing a flush from the inside out? It would suck to use it once or twice and it get clogged up.
Thanks

Boil it!

Check this podcast out. iTunes - Podcasts - The BN Presents - Brew Strong by Justin Crossley IIRC O2 @ 2l/min for a minute will give you over 15ppm O2. as opposed to room air maxing out between 8-10ppm after 20 minutes. I have access to O2 as well, and I'm still working on my setup. I even have an E cylinder that was converted to CO2 by its previous owner. I may convert it back then I'll really be GTG.

I use just an air pump and to plastic air stones from pet store. I'll aerate until the foam reaches the top of the bucket. This and stir plate my yeast I'll have active fermentation within hours.

No, I would say it is not necessary. It's just another technique that you can apply that has a potential to improve your beer.

It's not all about reaching your final gravity. It can make a difference how you get there. Yeast that has access to higher levels of dissolved oxygen during the initial growth phase will have a shorter lag time and produce fewer off flavors.

Wyeast Laboratories : Home Enthusiasts : Brewers : Technical Information : Oxygenation

Exactly, you can pitch one tube of yeast and not aerate very much and still hit your final gravity but the taste will be quite a bit different from pitching a starter and using pure oxygen.

Every time the yeast has to split to get to the correct numbers it will produce flavors (some desired, some not). Pitching the correct amount of yeast should give you more of the desired flavors and less of the undesired.

Yeasts go through oxygen like crazy when splitting. Think about it as working out in a room with low oxygen levels (like high altitude) compared to working out with lots of clean oxygen. If the yeast have to work harder to split you will get more of the undesired flavors.

As someone mentioned, shaking and using an aquarium pump can only get you to around 8ppm which is the minimum that yeast require. I usually try and get mine around 15ppm using pure oxygen.

The first purchase I made was a valve, tube, and airstone combo kit. Yes I paid the $35 to get one at a brew shop out of ease, then I purchased a $10 oxygen tank in the welding section at Home Depot. I was able to get 15 5gallon batches out of the one bottle. Over time it's a fairly low expense and I believe pure oxygen combined with starters have really improved the flavors in my beer.

Hope that helps a little

Thanks for that info. I think I'm convinced I need to try it. My last batch took two days to get going...

@fxdude What size was that oxygen tank at HD?
1.4oz? I saw one on their site for like $8
If I can get 10 or 15 batches out of it, it would be a lot easier than wrestling with my big welding tanks and removing the hoses from the gauges when I brew.

I would like to know if anyone uses a wine de-gasser for wort aeration. How long do you need to use it, and can it be fabricated from hardware purchased at home depot, or any other hardware store?

Thanks,

RL

Back