Aerated & Pitched too hot...am I screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mead-or

Reaction score
I Aerated at 170f and pitched at 111f. Is my beer toast? What should I do?

Thanks,

Joe

Hmmm. It'll make beer. You could remedy the hot aeration by not waiting too many months to consume the batch. But you're going to have some pretty awful fusel alcohols with the 111F pitch. Which if they were going to soften any at all, would take some significant time.

Guess I'd chalk it up to a learning experience and hope for the best. Try to get another batch going where you bring the wort temps to pitching as quickly as possible. Aerate right before and after the pitch. Most yeasts do well with a 64-68F pitching temp.

I was drunk and read my thermometer at 70f when it was actually 170f. After I threw it into the bucket and added 2 gallons of water it was hard to lower the temperature. Is my yeast dead, and/or should I re-pitch?

I have to know....how does this happen?

The temp range of the yeast is on the package. Pitching temps are in the kit instructions. There are stickies all over this site and others on brewing basics. Every home brew book ever written also spells this out.

How do these type of things happen to noobs? I started brewing long before internet boards were around and never made any of these crazy mistakes...sure I made small mistakes and still do, but some of these are getting out there. Maybe it's because I read up and had some sort of understanding of what I was doing BEFORE attempting. I don't mean to be a dick here, but I just don't get how these types of posts are here day after day after day....

They'll def be debilitated some. Keep an eye on it,you may have to re-pitch. But you never know. Yeasties are pretty tough critters.

1. I don't believe you. You don't need a thermometer to know the difference between 170 and 70.
2. If you are telling the truth, then yeah, the end product is probably going to be nasty and give you a headache.

Meh, it could be fine. You aerate when you stir during the boil right? (or does boiling remove all the air?) So why would aerating at 170 cause that much more harm? And a lot of people cool without a chiller or ice bath. Re-pitch.

I was drunk and read my thermometer at 70f when it was actually 170f. After I threw it into the bucket and added 2 gallons of water it was hard to lower the temperature. Is my yeast dead, and/or should I re-pitch?

you must have been Sh!@ Housed!

I have to know....how does this happen?

The temp range of the yeast is on the package. Pitching temps are in the kit instructions. There are stickies all over this site and others on brewing basics. Every home brew book ever written also spells this out.

How do these type of things happen to noobs? I started brewing long before internet boards were around and never made any of these crazy mistakes...sure I made small mistakes and still do, but some of these are getting out there. Maybe it's because I read up and had some sort of understanding of what I was doing BEFORE attempting. I don't mean to be a dick here, but I just don't get how these types of posts are here day after day after day....

In this case it was because of the effects of the product that will be produced. :drunk:
In most other cases it is impatience or inexperience.
Many, like I did, find more forums after doing some research, starting and making mistakes.
When I did my first batch I had read the procedures, watched videos, read the directions 2 or 3 times and misjudged how much it was going to take to keep the fermentation cool. My basement temp rose 5 degrees from the day before brew day and brew day. There is a lot to absorb and I learn more from hands on. So it was a lesson learned and a mistake I hope I will not make again.
Please have mercy on me when I make my next dumb mistake and get on the forum to see if I can make any adjustments.
:mug:

I'd give this one more than my usual 3-5 days clean up/settle out time. Maybe 2weeks in primary. 5 weeks in the bottles in covered boxes to clean up & condition more will help.

Meh, it could be fine. You aerate when you stir during the boil right? (or does boiling remove all the air?) So why would aerating at 170 cause that much more harm? And a lot of people cool without a chiller or ice bath. Re-pitch.

Typical aeration methods and stirring introduce very different amounts of O2 into the solution. Also, solutions at 70 and 170 will absorb very different amounts of O2 if the same method is used.

You'd been better off if you pitched at 170 so the yeast would have died. Just get it down to normal temps, I doubt any fusels will stick around in the short time above normal temps. Migh want to pitch some fresh healthy yeast too.

Does everyone agree I should pitch some fresh yeast? Is there any downside to doing this?

What is your hydrometer telling you? If its done fermenting, then why repitch, if it never took off, and its been over 4 days or so, then repitch.

Does everyone agree I should pitch some fresh yeast? Is there any downside to doing this?

You might be throwing good money after bad money. Your beer might already be ruined, but then again maybe not.

Do whatever you can to get the wort to the correct temperature.

My advice would be to not re-pitch... just let it go and see what you end up with. Check the gravity in a couple of days. If the gravity has not dropped significantly, then re-pitch.

your best bet is dead yeast (then you can re-pitch and all is well sans infection). But, at 111, they probably were just angry little dudes who made a ton of nasty fusel alcohols as a rebellion to their hot environment.

What is your hydrometer telling you? If its done fermenting, then why repitch, if it never took off, and its been over 4 days or so, then repitch.

I was assumingthis all happened within 24hours. If it's past that point just let it go. What temp was it at when you noticed active fermentation. If you pitched at 110 and if didn't show signs till it got to 80, then I'd pitch some fresh yeast. If it was fermenting at 100 and didn't get down to 70 within 12 hours I'd just let it go.

boostsr20 said:
I was assumingthis all happened within 24hours. If it's past that point just let it go. What temp was it at when you noticed active fermentation. If you pitched at 110 and if didn't show signs till it got to 80, then I'd pitch some fresh yeast. If it was fermenting at 100 and didn't get down to 70 within 12 hours I'd just let it go.

Actually, when did this happen? Good point boostsr20. No one asked.

Last night at 11pm, I haven't been home since. I didn't know I could let it sit all night without pitching the yeast.

So the airlock is going crazy, so some of the yeast survived! It will probably taste like balls?

Taste like balls? I wouldn't know, but since the bulk of active fermentation is happening at "normal" temperatures (mid-60's, hopefully), you'll probably be fine.

Or is it a stout, maybe Chcolate Salty Balls Stout :cross:

Chocolate_Salty_Balls.jpg

Even drunk, I think I'd know the difference between 70 and 170 ... McDonalds coffee is 170 and it will BURN you! Seems like you would have noticed this when aerating.

111F (funny, you were able to read a thermometer that accurately given your state...) is certainly not ideal pitching temp, either.

However you decide to play this, Mead-or, it will certainly not be your best batch.

Save the drinking until after your brew session is over. Pay attention to temps. Cool your beer to 65, pitch the yeast, and keep it between 60-65. (the internal temp of your fermenter, unless sitting in a water bath, can easily climb 5-10F above ambient)

Back