Aerated after pitching yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not to happy with my second attempt. Did not go as good as first one. I'm made an Oatmeal Stout from extract and steeping grains. I got 2 problems. First I forgot to aerate the wort after I racked into my primary, so I did it after I pitched the yeast... No, actually I have 3 problems. Secondly, I pitched the yeast about 5*F over what it says(bone head). And third, for some reason after I racked into my carboy, there appears to be only about 3.5G of wort. It's right next to my first batch and its an inch and a half below the first one. SO, i'm an idiot, but what should I do about the low level? My OG reading was about 2-4 points off. I assume from the low volume. So should I top it off to 5 gallons? And is my yeast going to be alright. It's Safale US-05. I started both batches at 6.25G of water, and they both boiled the same amount of time, WTF?

videoman

Reaction score
If your yeast has not become active, I'd put in enough water to meet your desired OG.

Yeast is pretty resillient... the 5 degrees may or may not make a difference... time will tell.

Good luck....

TinmanDan

Reaction score
5 degrees over the stated temp really shouldn't matter at all - according to the sources I've read, yeast death occurs around 100 degrees, so if your temp was around 85 or 90, it should still be fine. I did the same thing once (racked two gallons of wort that was warmer than it should have been to a primary with three gallons of cooler water, resulting in a temp that was still too high), and by the next morning, the wort was frothing like mad, and my blowoff tube was bubbling every 3 seconds. I second Videoman -- yeast is pretty hardy stuff...give it a little time, and you may still find you have a good beer.

OP
BWRIGHT

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
well I did top it off to 5 gallons last night. It's been 14 hrs and the airlock is bubbling every 3 seconds, so my yeast must be ok. Now I'm worried that I may have created some fruity flavors which I definitely don't want in a stout.

Kim

Reaction score
TinmanDan said:
according to the sources I've read, yeast death occurs around 100 degrees, so if your temp was around 85 or 90, it should still be fine. .
Actually 100 degrees farenheit isn't really going to kill off your yeast tbh. I have some strains that have to be grown at 37 degrees (research yeast). This temperature is a heat shock for the yeast however and fermenting this high would give off some wrong tasting by-products.

So your yeast are probably fine for pitching at 5 degrees higher than asked for. As long as you cooled it to the correct temperature before they actively started fermenting I wouldn't worry on that score.

as to the difference in volume. Different density wort maybe?

OP
BWRIGHT

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I was freaking out a little bit last night and I may have had 1 too many Guinness. Will keep it to one in the future. So, go ahead, let the n00b have it.