Aerate wort before or after pitching yeast??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meatball358

Reaction score
I thought that aerating the wort came BEFORE you pitched the yeast but a few youtube videos and a HBT thread or two indicated the contrary...

Which is right and (more importantly) WHY

THNX :rockin:

I do it before, as I'm pouring the wort into the fermenter, because it's easier for me. It also does not let me forget to add the oxygen later on.

Yes
and
yes.

Both

Because it doesn't matter.

Although if you are using oxygen, it's easiest to do it inline after the CFC.

If you aerate the wort before pitching the yeast, that is fine.
If you aerate the wort shortly after pitching the yeast, that is also fine.
If you wait until the yeast has started fermenting, and then aerate, you have missed the boat, and that is bad.
WHY?
You want to add oxygen to provide a suitable environment for the yeasts to reproduce before they start fermenting. At that time, the yeast will use all the oxygen (unless you grossly overpitch). If you wait until they have started fermenting, adding oxygen usually results in off flavors, because the yeast will probably not be able to use it all up.

-a.

sorry for bumping this old thread but i have a question about the aeration. How about this method?
1. pitch the yeast into an empty carboy
2. run the wort through an colander/strainer placed on top of the carboy.

wouldnt this aerate the wort really well and also mix the yeast into it aswell?

Some will say yes, some will say no, some will it depends. Manually aerating by shaking or running through a strainer will not give you a sufficient 02 concentration for directly pitched liquid yeast for lag phase O2 utilization, as recommended by Wyeast. Dry yeast does not require additional oxygenation, and yeast pitched from a starter batch built up on a stir plate may not need additional wort oxygenation, as the cell walls are already built up in the starter batch.

sorry for bumping this old thread but i have a question about the aeration. How about this method?

I've never done it that way but it sounds like a good experiment. When I use dry yeast, fwiw, I rehydrate it first. The experts tell us that this will maximize the number of viable and healthy cells. So, rehydrate, pour into the carboy, then pour in the wort.

Let us know how it turned out!

I've never done it that way but it sounds like a good experiment. When I use dry yeast, fwiw, I rehydrate it first. The experts tell us that this will maximize the number of viable and healthy cells. So, rehydrate, pour into the carboy, then pour in the wort.

Let us know how it turned out!

Sorry i didnt mention it but i mean to try it with liquid yeast. When i use dry yeast i sprinkle it ober the wort. But ive aerated the wort that way. I use 2 strainers on top of each other. It really serms like it aerates the wort but ive only brewed for 6 months so I wouldnt really know. Ill try the liquid yeast experiment next weekend. Itll also be my first attempt at using harvested commercial yeast:)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've always had the wort in the bucket BEFORE adding my yeast. I pour my wort through a double strainer to help aerate it and then while I'm rehydrating my yeast I aerate my wort with a diffusion stone as well.

I typically aerate both before and after pitching liquid and dry yeast. Why? If I've added water to my carboy, I want to make sure that it's thoroughly mixed with my wort so I get an accurate OG reading. I pitch my yeast, then aerate again to mix the yeast through the wort.

When I add my wort, I run it through a strainer, but I also vigorously shake my carboy for 5 minutes afterwards. This works well. I usually get active fermentation in 6-12 hours.

This works for me.

I'll add that it really doesn't make any difference to the yeast. Just do what makes sense to you in your particular setup and process. It's not necessary for pitched yeast to be stirred in, but it also doesn't hurt anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

in my experience the wort is oxygenated prior to pitching and with certain big beers there may be a second oxygenation called for in the first 12-24 hours after pitching.

If you can get your wort temp down to pitching temp then id say go for it. If i tried that my issue would be that the wort is too hot. i normally get it to around 80sih degrees then put it in the carboy and the ferment chamber to get it down to pitching temps. ill let it cool in there for a few hours before i pitch the yeast.

If you can get your wort temp down to pitching temp then id say go for it. If i tried that my issue would be that the wort is too hot. i normally get it to around 80sih degrees then put it in the carboy and the ferment chamber to get it down to pitching temps. ill let it cool in there for a few hours before i pitch the yeast.

I cool it down to pitching temp in the kettle so heat is no problem. I dont have carboys, i have fermentationbuckets so thats why i cant just shake it to aerate it. If i used carboys i could just shake it( i only make half batches).

Back