Aerate with pump up sprayer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bctdi

Reaction score
Had an idea about aerating my wort with a pump up garden sprayer as a cheap aeration technique. It could be sanitized easily with starsan.Has anyone done it this way? Any reason why this would be a bad idea?

The same idea has crossed my mind.
I was thinking of using a air pump like you would use
to inflate a bike tire or ball. The only downside I see
is that from what I read if you use an aquarium pump
it should run for half an hour. That seems like a long time to
be pumping air with a hand pump

It is a bad idea because you're not really aerating the wort, you're only pressurizing the container, pumping in air to push out the liquid like a carboy siphon. And your not filtering the air that's being pumped in, so there's the chance of contamination.

It is a bad idea because you're not really aerating the wort, you're only pressurizing the container, pumping in air to push out the liquid like a carboy siphon. And your not filtering the air that's being pumped in, so there's the chance of contamination.

I wouldn`t be filling the sprayer with wort....just air by pressurizing it , then releasing the air into the wort in the fermentor...as far as contamination , you may have a point...but maybe no more risk than shaking the carboy or stirring which many do with success.

Ah, sorry didn't think of it that way. Well you could probably put a sanitary filter inline and it would be the same as using an aquarium pump, except for all the pumping by hand. Seems like a lot of work considering you'd have to pump for 30-60 minutes.

Yeah , I hear you about excessive pumping.I havn't used a pump or an o2 tank yet... Right now I use a venturi style aeration tube which works well enough for normal beers but I was thinking that when I start doing bigger beers I would need a little extra aeration.I might just try it in a bucket of water just to see how much bubbling comes out because you can put quite a bit of pressure in one of those.....may not work worth a damn , but it won't cost nothin to try.

What if you put the wort in sprayer and pressurized it,
And the shook it while in the sprayer?
Would the pressurized air dissolve into the wort
at a higher concentration?
Just a thought.

Back