Aerate when pitching starter into stalled fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I’m not gonna get into the whole issue, I have another posted thread for that. So I decided end all be all make a starter of either wy1084 or wlp099 and I’ll pitch it into the ris when the starter is still active so it will hopefully eat up the sugars released by the amylase enzyme I added since the 007 i used to ferment this bad boy has crapped out. So should I aerate with my o2 stone before pitching the starter or just pitch and swirl it around to add o2 or does the o2 part not really matter at this point. Thanks for any advice.

if you're 007 crapped out, the 1084 will crap out also. the 099 has a much better chance of accomplishing something with the remaining sugar.

i'll assume of course you are measuring your gravity with a hydrometer and not a refractometer, and don't have any other underlying issues, and the main cause is simply alcohol poisoning killing your yeast.

oxygenating now is a dilemma. personally, I would not. but I would aerate the starter well. oxidized beer is just plain nasty.

Agreed, 1084 is much less likely to gain any points, while 099 might.
As to using O2, that's one heck of a Hobson's Choice, as there's a good chance another pitch isn't going to do much due to the high alcohol content extant, so then you'd have oxidative effects on top of presumably some wicked thick "beer".

If I might suggest a whole 'nuther direction: brew a small dry irish stout with your 1084, then blend it with the syrupy one...

Cheers!

Agreed, 1084 is much less likely to gain any points, while 099 might.
As to using O2, that's one heck of a Hobson's Choice, as there's a good chance another pitch isn't going to do much due to the high alcohol content extant, so then you'd have oxidative effects on top of presumably some wicked thick "beer".

If I might suggest a whole 'nuther direction: brew a small dry irish stout with your 1084, then blend it with the syrupy one...

Cheers!

I haven’t bought the yeast yet these two were just suggested to me.

I’ve considered your idea of blending, currently I’m sitting at 1.054 and it’s just a little to syrup-ie.

If you aerate your beer with a stone you might as well throw it out right away. You'll be subjecting your beer to a year's worth of oxygen ingress in a matter of minutes, I doubt you will like the end result.

DO NOT AERATE THE BEER.

If adding more yeast, aerate the starter to grow the yeast, but quit aerating that once fermentation is on it's way, and then pitch the starter when active.

After adding amylase, the 007 should start working on it's own, unless you have reached the alcohol limit of the yeast. Beer is at 1.054 now - what did you start at?

We aerate the wort to get O2 into it to help the yeast multiply. Once fermentation is going we don't want any O2 in the beer as it will result in the beer deteriorating over time. You now have beer, and once you pitch the yeast, it is not going to 'multiply', so nothing will consume any new O2.

DO NOT AERATE THE BEER.

If adding more yeast, aerate the starter to grow the yeast, but quit aerating that once fermentation is on it's way, and then pitch the starter when active.

After adding amylase, the 007 should start working on it's own, unless you have reached the alcohol limit of the yeast. Beer is at 1.054 now - what did you start at?

We aerate the wort to get O2 into it to help the yeast multiply. Once fermentation is going we don't want any O2 in the beer as it will result in the beer deteriorating over time. You now have beer, and once you pitch the yeast, it is not going to 'multiply', so nothing will consume any new O2.

I started at 1.132 there’s a thread below this one that I started in regards to this stalled fermentation. After adding the amylase I got nothing the 007 yeast was done and after 1 week post amylase I had the same fg reading so I knew the yeast was done.

Luckily my lhbs has some fresh wlp099 so I made a 1L starter with that and when it was at high krausen or I believed I poured the whole thing into the stout, swirled lightly to get it mixed in and looks like it’s starting to kick off a little so I have my fingers crossed. Been a learning experience anyway. This is a beer I’ve made once a year for the last 5 yrs and it seems with these big boys it’s always something that throws in a curve ball, kinda why I like brewing them, but this version pushed the limits of my mlt and abv for 007 which is the yeast I always use on this beer.

Last edited:
So I pitched in a 1L starter of 099 3 days ago and nothing, that is unless I swirl the carboy then I get a lot of tiny bubbles, looks like carbonation bubbles like when u crack a beer, coming from the bottom of the carboy then after about a minute the airlock stops burping and no other bubbling. So idk if the starter wasn’t big enough and the yeast hit the high abv beer and just crapped out or what but gravity still reading 1.054 so no movement at all.

DO NOT AERATE THE BEER.

I updated the status after pitch8ng new yeast. See above post.

099 is good to more than 20%. I can't believe you have reached that. So...

What temp is your fermenter at?

[sorry, have to ask] Are you using a hydrometer or refractometer to measure that 1.054?

099 is good to more than 20%. I can't believe you have reached that. So...

What temp is your fermenter at?

[sorry, have to ask] Are you using a hydrometer or refractometer to measure that 1.054?

I’m sitting at 10.8% abv right now. Fermenter is at 73deg and yes I always use a hydrometer to check my gravity’s

Crap. You didn't make this one easy, did you :)

Lol that’s why I’m so lost on this one. Everything was done “right” but yet there is a reason for this outcome and the subsequent lack of movement in fg even when adding amylase AND a starter of a high abv tolerant yeast. I thought maybe my thermometer was maybe off cuz I tested it in boiling water and it only read 210 and not 212 but still that puts the mash temp at 157 and beersmith reports the fg should then be 1.040 not 1.054.

I made this exact beer 1 yr ago THE only diff was changing out black patent for choc wheat and adding 1 more pound of Dme that’s it everything else in the process, ferm temps, aeration, yeast, starter size etc, was exactly the same. Last years version finished at 1.036 and started at 1.124.

Latest posts

Back