Aerate fruit before racking to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkpdogg

Reaction score
I'm asking my question after the fact, but thought I'd check with all of you to see if my logic is right.

I heated up some frozen raspberries (10min @ 160-deg) to add to my stout, let it cool, then dumped it into the secondary carboy before racking. Then I thought, hmmm, the yeast is going to kick into gear from the sugars in the fruit, they'll probably need oxygen too. So I shook the living hell out of the raspberry mush in the carboy, then racked my stout on top of it.

My thought was that any oxygen that I introduced to the stout was getting consumed/pushed out by the active fermentation (and boy is it active) and wouldn't cause the beer to go bad. Is this right? Or did I just commit a "no no"?

I'm not exctly sure if that was a good idea, you had plenty of yeast in suspension to continue to ferment the fruit. Generally you want to indroduce no oxygen into your beer after primary fermentation.

Come to think of it I just froze my blackberries and then tossed them into the food processor and pulsed it a few times to crush'em up, but I'm sure that introduced some oxygen to them...

Someone with more knowledge on the topic will chime in soon.

It will still be good.

Thanks for the responses. It's always good to get a little reassurance that it'll be just fine. I'm brewing too much these days, so starting another batch just to take my mind off of this is out of the question. =D

The yeast use oxygen for their primary growth cycle, to propagate themselves and create billions of copies before moving on to their secondary cycle eating sugar and pooping alcohol. You already had enough yeast, so no, aerating the fruit was unnecessary, but probably not harmful.

Back