Advise me :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Right, my first brew is nearing the end of primary fermentation (I hope) and so naturally I've had to think about what to do next.
I've opted for the pressure barrel, this is the one I bought (or at least, it's pretty identical).
I skimped on the CO2 Injection System because I'm cheap, and it seemed complicated. I know that those are bad reasons to skip on it, but what's done is done. If you guys think it is really necessary, I could always run back to the homebrew store and buy one.
Could any of you guys help me out a bit? I know it's a bit much to ask for a step-by-step guide on how to do it, I'm really looking for hints and tips to avoid having the keg explode:mug:

EDIT- Sorry if this should have gone in the beginner's section

It's meant to hold pressure obviously, You could always Naturally carbonte with it. Add 3-5 oz corn sugar to the barrel (assuming 5G batch size) then rack ontop of it. Sit barrel somewhere warm (60-70F) for 3 weeks to allow for carbonation, Then chill for a few days and drink. Just like 1 big bottle

Unfortunately on THIS site you will get little help with your pressure barrel. Since this is primarily a US forum, and we don't have pressure barrels here, whenever a question about them comes up, the threads tend to die quickly, since most of us don't have any experience with them.

In the past when I've searched pressure barrels for other people I have referred them to this site Homebrew Finishing

Your best bet for tips and stuff about them will be a UK or Irish, or maybe even australian site like AussieHomeBrewer.com

But with us Yanks....it would be all conjecture. Though I would love one....

Hope this helps. :mug:

Aaah thanks a lot, both of you :)
I'm probably going to treat it as 'one big bottle,' I assume it should work OK. Thank for the website link, I'll give it a look now.
How come you guys don't get pressure barrels?

Back