Advice/recipe on what to make next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I'm stuck in a rut. I love bitter malty beers and am drinking my Dead Guy clone (almost gone already) and my Redhook ESB clone the most. I have a Pete's Wicked clone in secondary, as well as our "house" beer, my Sawtooth ale clone. Still drinking my red ale (not a great fan of it), English pale ale (pretty good), and my brown ale (Newcastle-ish). I've got a lager yeast starter going for an American style maibock, sometime this week.

I saved my last yeast- Wyeast 1056. What would be good for me to make next? I'm still doing extract/steeping grains until my birthday when I'm getting a MLT from my husband! :rockin:

Anyway- I need to (gently) break out of my rut, but have to have something my husband and I can drink. He does not like stouts or porters, and IPAs would be iffy. Is there anything like the English pale ale, but a little hoppier? Anyone have a recipe for a killer hoppier but malty brew? I've got TONS of pellet hops in the freezer, so I would only have to buy specialty grains and extract.

Thanks!
Lorena

You know, everybody seems to LOVE Walker's IPA, and it has enough malt in it to be very well-balanced. You could sub out the Chinook bittering hops for something a little less harsh if you wanted (I used Cascade, and it was barely an IPA).

Personally, next up for me is a California Common, because basement temps are pretty much spot-on for primary fermenation. Might be something to think about, I know it gets a wee bit chilly up in your neck of the woods. I'm malting it up with a bit of Munich and keeping the IBUs at around 30-35. You'd need a different yeast, though.

Do you guys like Scottish ales? Those can be very malty, as well.

Of course, I'm the one who told you to brew a red ale, so feel free to ignore me!

I like the idea of Walker's IPA with cascade hops instead (chinook is a little much for me). I'm going to look at his recipe and see if that'll work.

It's probably not possible to do for a steam beer- I'm doing a lager in my basement, because it's cold there (50 in the warmest spot!). But my house temp is around 62, and the ales are working fine. I think a steam beer will work here in the late spring- when the basement warms up to the mid 50s.

I don't think I've ever had a Scottish ale. My brewfriend (is that a word?) is making one next, so I'll have to try hers. I was under the impression that they were "peat-y" but I probably have it mixed up with Scotch!

Lorena

Well, apparently the whole peated-malt-in-Scottish-beers thing is completely wrong, it's only homebrewers who actually do that (according to Jamil, and I think Ray Daniels as well). If you like the idea of a steam beer, it sounds like you have the perfect temps to do it; primary SHOULD be at 62, secondary should be at 50. That's why I'm dong it, I can get some lager characteristics in a beer without having to actually lager. Just a thought.

Anyway, Walker's IPA really is kick-ass. I used an ounce of Cascade for bittering, it came out pretty damn good. Not sure how many IPUs, I should throw the recipe in BeerSmith and see. Everyone really liked it, though.

Lorena,how about a rye beer? I made and tasted my first one a month or so ago and and I am hooked. The version I did ran about 55-60 IBU's but it was balanced with the rye flavor. Gonna make another very soon.

Well, it's not for the 1056, but like the rest of us, you should feel obligated to make Cheesefood's infamous caramel cream. :)

I would check out beertools.com recipe list. you can always find a bunch of recipes, and choose by style and ingredients you have on hand to find something.

Back