Advice on using Hop Blocker and whirlpooling through pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

303Dan

Reaction score
I'm almost done with my new eherms setup, and I'm thinking about my plan for whirlpooling and chilling. I'm sure I'll just have to try it, but I wanted to see if anyone had experience with what I'm trying to do and could offer any advice or lessons learned.

Here is what I'd like to do:

I have a Blichmann Boilermaker G2 and a Blichmann HopBlocker. I also have a center inlet Chugger pump and a counterflow chiller.

When the boil is almost done, I'd like to start recirculating the hot wort through the pump, then the CFC, then back through my whirlpool port. Then, when the boil is done, I'd like to maintain my whirlpooling through the pump and chiller while for the entire duration while I add and steep my whirlpool hops (pellet). My understanding of the HopBlocker is that it is recommended to manually whirlpool with a spoon/paddle and let the sediment drop to the bottom before starting to filter through so that it can function at it's best. I'm wondering if I use it in the way I have planned, if it will be ineffective at stopping considerable amounts of hop debris into my pump and chiller.

Thoughts? Anyone have experience with this type of setup?

Back