Advice on tweaking a partial mash APA kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerga

Reaction score
I recently ordered a American Pale Ale partial mash kit in hopes of possibly adding some additions to up the ABV and IBU's a bit without completely ruining the original recipe. TBH, I only ordered it as the price was right and prefer IPA's to APA's... I have experience and have brewed a few successful home-recipes, but I am still don't trust my judgement on exactly how to do this and would appreciate any advice offered. The kit's ingredients are below and the additions that I was thinking of adding are *'d. I like a good hoppy beer, but not quite as hoppy as a IIPA.

Grains / Malt:
3.15 lb. Gold LME,
4 lb. American 2-row
8 oz. Carapils
8 oz. Caramel 10L
* Considering either adding 2lbs additional 2 row and/or 1lb of corn sugar

Hops:
-1.5 oz Cascade for 60 min boil
-.5 Cascade for 15 min boil
-1 oz Cascade added at flame off
*Considering adding 1 oz Amarillo for 60 minute boil, .5 oz Simcoe at 15 min boil and .5 Simcoe at flame off.

:mug:

I would add a pound of DME instead of the corn sugar, and does the recipe/kit really use Cascade like that? Seems kind of a waste to use 1.5 ounces for bittering.

I'll let others weigh in on the hop scheduling...

Thanks for the DME idea. That never really crossed my mind but make perfect sense. As far as the hops go, I was a bit miffed about the use as well. Tbh, I have never used cascade as the only hop and certainly not as the sole bittering hop. Then again, I haven't made any APA's either so didn't think about 1.5 as excessive. Thx for the advice!

As far as what hops you want to add, and when, depends on what kind of IPA you want to create.

I've made single-hopped IPAs with both cascade and simcoe that turned out great, and just brewed an amarillo-heavy pale ale. Here are my takes on these hops in terms of flavor:

Cascade: Tastes pretty much just like grapefruit, but less astringent.

Amarillo: Citrusy, specifically organge, and a little bit floral.

Simcoe: Simcoe gives a pretty complex mix of flavors. Mostly fruity and citrusy with some pine notes mixed in. Altogether, I get a very "melony" taste/aroma from it.

If you can describe what you're looking to achieve in terms of bitterness/flavor/aroma it'll be easier to put together a hop schedule you'll like.

Back