Advice on traveling with full fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AttenuatingCircumstances

Reaction score
I currently have an ale that has been fermenting in a plastic bucket and I will be transferring it to a carboy in a couple days in order to minimize the head space for when I move next week. Will the car ride (traveling about 10 miles) and shaking oxidize the beer or should I be ok? Anyone have any experience with this situation?

I would leave it in the primary to move it. The CO2 produced during fermentation has purged all of the oxygen out of the headspace, so if you don't take the lid off it won't matter how much it's shaken up because there is no oxygen in there to oxidize it.

Alternatively, I would transfer to secondary asap so that the small amount of fermentation that may stir back up when you transfer can flush the small headspace of 02.

I would leave it at a bit warmer then usual ferm temps after transferring for several days as well to wake up some yeast so they can get to work making c02 for you.

Advice on traveling with full fermenter?

My best advise: Wife/GF in the back*, fermenter securely strapped in the front seat.

*What is best for the beer may not be good for your physical safety and the ongoing harmony of your relationship. Consult Wife/GF for full details.

If kegging is an option, I'd keg the beer and purge the tank with CO2, but of course only if you have the stuff.

Back