advice on slightly modifying a BB IIPA kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hossfly

Reaction score
TIA for any feedback...

I am getting ready to brew a IIPA with the following kit ingredients,

9.9 LB. Light LME
1 LB. Corn Sugar

1/2 LB. Caramel 40L &
1/4 LB Carapils as steeping grains 30 min @ 150-160

2 oz Columbus 60 min
2 oz Columbus 15 min
2 oz Cascade @ flameout

No dry hop

5 gal batch/full boil for 60 min

I have a leftover 1/2 LB of Crystal 15L & a 1 oz pack of Willamette pellets and was thinking of adding that to the steeping grains for just a little more body in the beer and was wondering what y'all thought about adding the Willamette hops, and if so, when?

This recipe just seemed a bit light on the malt bill, as I brewed a Falconer's Flight IIPA kit a few months back, and it had
10 LB Extra Pale LME
1 LB Extra Light DME
1 LB Corn Sugar

1/2 LB Crystal 150L
1/2 LB Pale Ale Malt
1/2 LB Crystal 40L
1/2 LB Flaked Spelt as steeping grains

So should I fool with it, or leave well enough alone with the recipe?

ANother question on the hop side,

I was thinkinhg about splitting into 2 2.5 gal carboys and dry hopping each with a different variety.
What would go well with the hops already in the recipe?
Keep in mind, I really gravitate toward the very citrusy/piney/resiny hop variety, more than the spicy/peppery/earthy flavors.

Thanks again in advance for humoring me, as this is only my third batch, but the first two turned out quite nicely thanks in part to some advice received from the good folks here on HBT! :mug:

I've had a few students brew this kit, and it turns out a good beer. You could run the whole thing through a calculator, like Brewer's Friend to see what you get.

If you want to add Willamette, there's really no wrong time to do so - it's a good bittering hop, but also has a nice, delicate aroma. Adding a little C15L would, I think, be a nice touch, but try to not let the crystal get above, say, 5% of the malt bill (there's already some crystal in the extract). You could also replace the corn sugar with brown sugar.

You batch-splitting idea is also not a bad one. Northern Brewer would give you piney flavor and is well-regarded for dry hopping. Green Bullet, Newport, Sticklebract, and Warrior will give pine and citrus. Centennial, Citra, Simcoe, Mosaic, and Amarillo will give citrus.

Latest posts

Back