Advice on simple hefe for a first time brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A friend of mine wants to try brewing beer, and has asked me for a simple recipe to get started. I'm thinking an extract hefeweizen with one 60 minute hop addition. Cloudiness is be expected, so no frustration with hazy beer. Also, less concern with fermenting temperature considering the summer heat.

I'm thinking partial boil, enough wheat DME for 5% ABV (2/3 late addition), hallertauer hops @ 60 to 18 ibu, and WB06 yeast. Could also include a 10 minute hop addition so its not 60 minutes of just watching a pot boil. What do you guys think? Any other recommendations?

Looks OK, but is likely to be a bit lacking in flavour. I've never brewed extract before (did kits then all grain) but my experience with WB06 is that it lacks flavour compared to liquid weizen yeasts. I like WB06 for it's tartness (it has also dropped crystal clear every time I've used it) but it lacks fruitiness. So, for a basic recipe like yours, I'd strongly suggest a good liquid weizen yeast (WY3068 is my favourite). If you want to use WB06, try an American version (maybe cascade or centennial hops at 60, 20 and 0 mins) or a wit (add some orange zest and coriander seed). Steeping some crushed wheat and/or crystal grain will also help 'freshen' it up.

How about this:
Wheat DME for 5% ABV
1Kg wheat malt + 500 Crystal 20L (crushed, steeped for 20 mins)
Centennial - 20 IBU's @ 60mins
Cascade - 6 IBU's @ 20min + 20g at flameout (for a 5 gallon batch)

I'm not sure about including wheat malt, as that extra mashing step might be too much first time out of the gate. Maybe steeping the C20 with a little chocolate malt to make a basic dunkel? It might improve freshness and flavor. I've had success with WB06 when I used it, but I've heard of others having issues with flavor chararcter and too much clarity.

I did a 2.5 G batch of Wheat beer for a friend once with nothing but extract and yeast.

I did one 3.3 lb can of Wheat LME, 1 oz of Hallertauer at 60m and WLP300 yeast. He liked it a lot and shared some with friends who were apparently genuinely surprised it was homebrew.

I just bottled a batch that I did for myself of 6 lb of Wheat DME, 1 oz of Hallertauer at 60m and WLP351. I'm looking forward to seeing how that turned out. The gravity sample that I tasted was similar to Schneider-Weisse Original, which I love.

Ditto on the Wyeast 3068. Hefes are usually fairly simple BECAUSE they get their flavor from the yeast, so flavorful estery yeast is crucial. Also, make sure your friend uses a blowoff tube with hefe yeast, or theyll likely have a mess when it takes off.

Ditto on the Wyeast 3068. Hefes are usually fairly simple BECAUSE they get their flavor from the yeast, so flavorful estery yeast is crucial. Also, make sure your friend uses a blowoff tube with hefe yeast, or theyll likely have a mess when it takes off.

I hear ya on the 3068. I use it myself and love it. Great top cropper too. I'm just thinking it could be a big step for someone just starting out that would have to worry about making a starter... also need to have it shipped in due to rural location. I'm temped to recommend the wb06 because of the success I've had with it: plenty of yeast character, banana aroma and no sourness. Others seem to have bad luck with it though. Anyone had luck with Danstar Munich?

I made a hefe with WB06 (this was an all grain with Cascade hops) - it was plenty cloudy and powered through the wort. Had some nice flavors and was very approachable by non-crafty drinkers.

I had it in my keezer for about 4 months and the last 1/2 gallon or so dropped nice and clear and had developed some banana / gum flavors.

For a first time brewer, it's super easy and they're going to drink it long before it has a chance to go Kristalweisse.

I've never had issues with fermentation with WB06, but it has always dropped crystal clear quite quickly. Paperairplane suggests a good combo - WB06 with Cascade. Quite tasty.

I don't make a starter with WY3068 if it's fresh - it's only slightly underpitching on a 5 gallon batch which actually helps in ester formation.

I agree with the above posters regarding a direct pitch of Wyeast 3068. The smack pack is a cool toy to play with, when you're new, and will produce a drinkable beer in almost any indoor fermentation.

Liquid wheat extract to 1.050 OG, one hop addition at 60 mins an ounce of some German hop.

Now, you and I know that fermentation control, full volume boil, and a yeast starter would make all the difference in the world. But that's not the point, is it? When he gets that sucker bottled and primed I bet it's the best beer he's ever had.

Just make sure they write the info down so they remember it years from now when they win the Dixie cup

Don't let the temps get too high...it will taste like a soft banana. I have had great success around the 62F mark. Nice balance of phenols and esters. And never mind the steep on the first brew...good quality wheat extract and yeast is all you need to make a tasty hefe. And temp control.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Don't let the temps get too high...it will taste like a soft banana. I have had great success around the 62F mark. Nice balance of phenols and esters. And never mind the steep on the first brew...good quality wheat extract and yeast is all you need to make a tasty hefe. And temp control!

Don't let the temps get too high...it will taste like a soft banana. I have had great success around the 62F mark. Nice balance of phenols and esters. And never mind the steep on the first brew...good quality wheat extract and yeast is all you need to make a tasty hefe. And temp control!

The OP said "simple hefe" and this is a style you dont want or need to overthink. My friends have loved the batches we've made with 3068, and they are also among the simplest recipes we've made. No need to make a starter, steep specialty grains, or worry about any hop additions other than 1 oz at 60 min.
Since hefe is supposed to be cloudy you dont even need to do a secondary with this style. Two weeks primary, transfer to bottling bucket, prime and bottle is just fine.

I truly belive that hefeweizens and brown ales are among the best styles to start a novice brewer out with because they are simple to make and hard to screw up. Just keep it simple and dont overthink it and you'll have delicious, carbonated beer in 4 weeks.

For what its worth i've had great results using the following ingredients for a very easy to drink hefe that everyone seems to enjoy. And yes I know that the yeast im going to suggest is not a true hefe yeast but the request was for a beginner and an easy drinkable beer!

3 lbs wheat DME 60 min boil
1 oz Tettnang hops 60 min boil
3 lbs wheat DME 15 min boil
Danstar Munich dry yeast rehydrated and pitched at about 60 degrees
14 day primary and bottle

BLOW OFF TUBE STRONGLY SUGGESTED!!

Back