Advice on kit/yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grace1760

Reaction score
I'm only two brews into this thing, and even though my LHBS has decent supply of Brewer's Best extract kits, I'm interested in ordering from AHS due to the fact that they have such a great selection.

My question is whether I should just go with the dry yeast that comes with the kit (in this case, a wit that comes with Safbrew T-58 Dry Ale Yeast), or have them mail me the liquid yeast (they have options from both Wyeast and WL) and presumably get the cold pack for shipping, or skip the yeast and buy the liquid yeast from my LBHS?

I've read that the liquid yeast with a starter is the best option for optimal beer, but I'm also worried about the viability of liquid yeast shipped halfway across the country.

Personally, I would get the liquid yeast from your local homebrew supply store (I perfer Wyeast Activator packs for ease of use). Additionally, I would recommend getting the dry yeast that comes with the kit as well. The dry yeast will last for a considerable amount of time and this way you have an extra packet of yeast to use in case of an emergency.

Just my 2 cents.

They ship yeast all the time but I would vote for skipping the yeast and picking up a liquid yeast vial locally. something like Wyeast 3944 or WLP400. but for that matter unless your LHBS is culturing yeast there or getting it locally, they get it shipped just like you would.

:mug:

They ship yeast all the time but I would vote for skipping the yeast and picking up a liquid yeast vial locally. something like Wyeast 3944 or WLP400. but for that matter unless your LHBS is culturing yeast there or getting it locally, they get it shipped just like you would.

:mug:

Yeah, I thought the same thing -- they do have Wyeast and WL so it's getting shipped to them, but I have to imagine shipping conditions are probably a bit more controlled with the quantity that they are getting, perhaps leading to a smaller likelihood that anything stresses or kills the yeast.

Personally, I would get the liquid yeast from your local homebrew supply store (I perfer Wyeast Activator packs for ease of use). Additionally, I would recommend getting the dry yeast that comes with the kit as well. The dry yeast will last for a considerable amount of time and this way you have an extra packet of yeast to use in case of an emergency.

Just my 2 cents.

Should I store the dry yeast in the fridge? how long is "a considerable amount of time"?

Hypothetically, if I had a stuck fermentation after using liquid yeast, then subsequently pitched dry yeast to get it going again, will that impact the flavor of my beer? Presumably yes, but probably not very noticeable?

You can put it in the fridge if you are concerned about it but it should last for a couple months just hanging out in your pantry. Also, I wouldnt be too worried about the change in flavor from having to pitch more yeast into a stuck fermentation. From what I have read, most of the flavors from the yeast happen at the beggining of the fermentation so the differences will be not that noticable. The beer should come out great either way.

This may sound like a dumb question but can you use brewer's yeast from the health food store? On impulse I bought a tin because last batch I started brewing after my LHBS was closed but before I realized they forgot to include the yeast in my ingredients... I used Fleischman's for that one. Bottle this weekend, we'll see.

The reason I'm asking is it looks like this brewer's yeast was used and washed before being packaged and sold. Is it still active? Or does it die in the repurposing process?

Latest posts

Back