Advice on Hops for Belgian Dubbel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psuchris05

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm an avid reader of the forums, and currently on my 7th brew now. I'm looking to do a belgian dubbel, and I've had great success with the kits from Keystone Homebrew so far. I wanted to change up the recipe a bit to give the dubbel a slightly hoppier and crisper finish, but wanted to keep it subtle and not overpowering. What hops should I add to the ingredient list below to help out with the flavor that I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Kit Includes:
8 lb. Alexander’s Pale Malt Extract
1 lb. Dark Candi Sugar
½ lb. Dingemans Carapils Malt 7° L
½ lb. Dingemans Aromatic Malt 38° L
½ lb. Dingemans Caramunich Malt 63° L
½ lb. Dingemans Special “B” 100° L

1¾ oz. Styrian Goldings Pellets (Bittering)
¼ oz Styrian Goldings Pellets (Flavoring)

Wyeast # 1388XL Belgian Strong Yeast

When I think Dubbel I don't think about hops at all, but I'd imagine Styrian Goldings, Saaz, Hallertau, or EKG could all be viable options. Personally, if I'm going to be adding any kind of hop aroma to a Belgian I choose Saaz, but that's just my preference.

Thanks winechik! Were you recommending the EKG and Hallertau instead of the styrian goldings in the recipe? Or in addition to those?

An oz or 2 of Tett at 30 minutes gives a nice crisp bite to it with a sort of peppery flavor impact. Used this exact approach in a wheat with belgian golden ale yeast and it complemented the yeast extremely well. If you want something more crisp to the palet.

My Belgians usually get one or more of the Styrian Goldings, Hallertau, Saaz, or Tettenang. I'd say I use the Styrian Goldings most, Saaz the least. I use EKG all the time in English beers, but never thrown them in something Belgian.

Latest posts

Back