Advice on dry hopping British Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRJHops

Why did the rabbit like NEIPA's so much?
Reaction score
I have my first British Strong Ale in the fermenter. I'd like to give it a dose of East Kent Goldings to up the flavor and bitterness (perceived or otherwise) a bit. I am thinking 3 ounces. Does that seem like too much for the style?

It's not that often I dry hop with traditional English hops, but when I do I use only small amounts.

How much beer volume are you looking to dry hop and for how long? I add 2oz of EKG to my IPA recipe once I've harvested the yeast (which puts the beer in the 45-50F range). A day, or two, later I chill it down to carb temperature (36-38F) and let that go for 3-4 days before packaging. I get really nice additional hop flavor and aroma out of that process. I can even let the hops stay for a bit longer due to the lower temperatures.

For reference, I have between 7 and 8 gallons in the fermenter for this. If you're going with 5 gallon batch sizing, I wouldn't go for more than 2oz the first time. You can always add more with the next batch. Better to want to increase it than have it be too much to enjoy early on.

How much beer volume are you looking to dry hop and for how long? I add 2oz of EKG to my IPA recipe once I've harvested the yeast (which puts the beer in the 45-50F range). A day, or two, later I chill it down to carb temperature (36-38F) and let that go for 3-4 days before packaging. I get really nice additional hop flavor and aroma out of that process. I can even let the hops stay for a bit longer due to the lower temperatures.

For reference, I have between 7 and 8 gallons in the fermenter for this. If you're going with 5 gallon batch sizing, I wouldn't go for more than 2oz the first time. You can always add more with the next batch. Better to want to increase it than have it be too much to enjoy early on.

It's 6 gallons - good question. I think I will go with 2 ounces, perhaps, for a week. Thank you for the advice. I have used a lot of high alpha hops for NEIPA's, but I've never dry hopped with EKG. I'm thinking I probably need to use a bit more... BUT this is the first British Strong I've brewed...

I dry hop mostly with EKG (in my bitters and English IPA batches) or First Gold (a Goldings strain). These are often in the 4-6% AA range and still offer really nice flavors from the dry hop additions.

I'm using conical fermenters, and put the hops in via the CO2 purged method. Getting solid results this way.

1.5 ounces of EKG would be a touch higher than, “traditional” dry hopping rates, but at 2 ounces you will probably be good too!

Curious what the outcome of this beer with dry hopping was...can the thread originator please post an update?

Beer turned out great! One of my favorite beers I brewed this year. Two ounces seemed perfect. Nice EKG aroma and flavor.

I have it entered in an upcoming comp. Will try to remember to post the judge's comments. It's a bit overcarbed at this point, but otherwise I feel like they are going to like it. My friends and I sure do!

Reporting back...

My BSA got a 36/50, which isn't bad. One judge gave it a 38, but the other gave it a 34 and dinged it pretty bad for the over-carbonation, as I expected might happen. If I can correct that bottling flaw, I think it will do better next time and might even contend for a medal/ribbon.

Latest posts

Back