Advice on deciding on first Belgian recipe to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsearle

Reaction score
My father in law has recently saved up 750ml cork bottles from an Abbey beer that he had 15 bottles of. We were chatting and thought it would be cool to brew up a nice belgian beer of some kind that we put in them and seal with a cork etc and make look nice etc (just for fun really).

I've brewed plenty but never brewed any belgian styles, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a decent recipe that they've brewed (perhaps with a link if it was found on this site). I'd probably like something fairly light and that's not TOO big on the esters etc just because I want it to also be accessible for people who aren't big belgian beer fans (so probably not going to be my first go at a sour beer either 😉)?

Thanks in advance!

A Belgian blonde would be the safe option if you plan to give them out as presents. Personally my fave is the dubbel, just such a nice mix of flavour.

I wouldn't give Belgian style beer as a gift, too many people just don't like them.
Put the champagne bottles aside and just use regular bottles until you get some experience brewing Belgian beers.
If your father in law likes a particular Abbey ale, and you don't have any preference, I'd say start off with a clone recipe of that beer or something similar. At least you'll have one person to help you drink it.

I recommend getting the book 'Brew Like a Monk' and see if any of the recipes match your requirements. Kindle for PC or iPad/iPhone is free and the book is cheap

I wouldn't give Belgian style beer as a gift, too many people just don't like them.
Put the champagne bottles aside and just use regular bottles until you get some experience brewing Belgian beers.
If your father in law likes a particular Abbey ale, and you don't have any preference, I'd say start off with a clone recipe of that beer or something similar. At least you'll have one person to help you drink it.

It wasn't so much to give them as gifts, but just if we're drinking it with others who perhaps weren't into beer, particulary belgian beer we wanted them to be at least approachable.

Good point though, maybe I'll set aside a few for a clone abbey for him, and the rest save for something else down the line.

I recommend getting the book 'Brew Like a Monk' and see if any of the recipes match your requirements. Kindle for PC or iPad/iPhone is free and the book is cheap

Ok great I'll check it out! Thanks

Back