Advice on Dark German Style lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GonZolaB

Reaction score
I am going to make a clone for "Noche Buena" which is a seasonal Mexican version of a Bock. Recipe is from Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing.
I was hoping for any suggestions that might help me make it a good beer.
(late malt extract addition, steeping, pitching temp, secondary, etc.) This is my first Lager. The recipe is as follows : (5 Gallons)

Specialty steeping grains :
1 lb. light-colored crystal malt
1/4 lb. toasted malted barley

Fermentables :
6.6 lbs. (2 cans) Muntons Dark malt extract syrup (60 min.)
1 lb. rice extract powder (60 min.)

Hops :
1 1/4 oz. German Spalt Hops (Boiling - 60 min.)
1 oz. Czech Saaz hops (Boiling - 40 min.)
1 oz. Hersbrucker-Hallertauer hops for flavor-aroma (finishing -5 min.)

Yeast :
German type Lager Yeast (I got 2 packets of Saflager W34/70 Dry Yeast)

Please excuse my ignorance, any suggestions from a more experienced brewer
would be appreciated.

If I were brewing this I would first off use light extract not dark extract. I would maybe bump the barley to 1/2 lb to make up for the color. Then that 40min hop addition I would either skip it or move it to the 15-10 min area unless you want a really bitter beer with little aroma/flavor. But it's all just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone

After typing it in on brewers friend you get an ibu of 38 and an abv of 5.35%. This is for how you wrote it.

Sent from my iPhone

Thank you Timrox1212. Any suggestions on the yeast? Should I rehydrate, and if so, what temp do you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've never used dry test before so I'm not sure. I would recommend making a yeast starter though. They are super easy to make and it really helps the yeast.

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks, I appreciate the help

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back