Advice on CO2 tank(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
I'm building a 3 tap keezer and hope to keep 4 or 5 corny kegs full and in rotation. My current consumption is around 3 12oz per day so that amounts to around 2 to 2-1/2 gallons per week.

I have an opportunity to buy a used 10 lb empty steel tank locally for $50. He says it has a current hydro test.

Called a local gas supplier and he will sell me a 5 lb tank full for around $65.

What are the pros & cons of buying the 10 lb over the 5 lb. I don't think space is an issue as I plan to build a collar for the keezer.

Should I buy both? If so, why/for what use??

Just looking for some advice from you experienced keggers out there... ;;)

Buy both!

I had a 10 lb tank, and I loved it. The size was great- I could easily lift it and it fit in my kegerator- but I couldn't refill or swap it anymore. So make sure you can either refill or swap before buying.

I now have 2 five pound tanks, and one 20# tank for the kegerator, and I have the 20# because it's easy to swap. It also lasts over a year for me, so it's convenient that way. The five pounders are for dispensing wine in the basement, and for being portable, and one fits in my kegerator at my cottage. They are very handy for purging carboys and using in portable applications, plus if your bigger tank runs out on a Saturday night, it can be used until you can get it filled on Monday or Tuesday.

Buy both!

Sound advice. I've had a four tap setup for over a year now and only have one 5lb tank. It works just fine, but I'm getting the tank refilled every couple of months or so. When it runs out, you can serve some off of the pressure in the kegs depending on how full they are, but that won't work well if you're having a party and didn't realize that your tank was low. (I don't have real friends, so this hasn't been a problem for me.) Of course, I never want to pay for a refill unless it's empty, either.

So, just this week I got a 20lb tank sent from @ezryder and now I'll have much longer to go between refills and Have my 5lb as a portable/backup/force carb outside the keezer tank.

I think I'll jump on the 10lb while it's available and maybe pick up the 5lb later once I complete my keezer.

Thanks for the advice!

I got a 10lb tank and it was actually more expensive to swap it out for a full 10lb tank than it was to trade it for a full 20lb tank at the same place.

Sometign about them being harder to fill multiple 10 pounders at the same time because of the size. 20s are much more common and cheaper as a result. I'd grab the 5 to have as a backup and search for a 20 if I were in your shoes.

That's an interesting twist. Well have to check with the gas supplier on their refill/swap prices for the various sizes

I got a 10lb tank and it was actually more expensive to swap it out for a full 10lb tank than it was to trade it for a full 20lb tank at the same place.

Sometign about them being harder to fill multiple 10 pounders at the same time because of the size. 20s are much more common and cheaper as a result. I'd grab the 5 to have as a backup and search for a 20 if I were in your shoes.

Agreed, I too would have a concern about the 10 lb tank and being able to swap it. The place I go only swaps 5's and 20's. I have a 20 lb main tank for the kegerator which is great and lasts forever and a 5 lb that is handy to have when you need a mobile source as Yooper mentioned. It's a cost savings to go bigger if you can, a 5 lb swap last time was 17$ and the 20lb was only 20$.

Agreed, I too would have a concern about the 10 lb tank and being able to swap it. The place I go only swaps 5's and 20's. I have a 20 lb main tank for the kegerator which is great and lasts forever and a 5 lb that is handy to have when you need a mobile source as Yooper mentioned. It's a cost savings to go bigger if you can, a 5 lb swap last time was 17$ and the 20lb was only 20$.

Gas guy (haha) explained this to me last time as well... Apparently they hook 20 20lb tanks at a time to a manifold and fill them simultaneously. The 5/10lb tanks have to be done one at a time.

OK, I called a few local places today and found a little of everything. One thing was clear, 10 lb tanks are not as popular/common so for local gas supplier that only do swaps, they may not always have one available.

Here is what I found in my area (NW of Atlanta), for the following sizes; (5lb, 10lb, 20lb.).

Airgas - Swaps - $19, $23, $27 - But they don't always have 10lb available.
Nexair - Swaps - $18, n/a, $30 - They don't do 10lb at all.
Ga Paintball - Refills - $16, $32, n/a - Refills up to 10lb tank

10lb seemed like it would be the perfect size but as others have said here, may have a little more hassle/expense involved when it comes time to refill/swap. Hmmm...

Back