Advice on Blueberry Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonkeyShoes

Reaction score
I'm looking for somesthing a bit sweet with a lot of blueberry flavor, something the wife will like. Here is a recipe I've cobbled together from several different recipes, let me know what you think and give me any suggestions to make this better. Thanks!

9.00 lbs 2 row malt
0.50 lbs Vienna malt
0.50 lbs Crystal malt (10L)
0.50 oz Willamette hops (5.0%) 60 min
0.50 oz Willamette hops (5.0%) 15 min
1.00 pkg Dry yeast (American ale)
4.00 lbs Blueberries (canned puree or canned whole)

Mash at 152 F for 60 min

I'm considering adding the blueberry in the primary, but only after fermentation has stopped, then transferring to secondary a week later to clear up some.

I was also going to pick up some blueberry extract just in case there is not enough blueberry flavor at kegging time.

Thanks!

Do you want the flavor hops? Could they distract from the fruit flavor?

I would just rack the beer on top of the berries in the secondary.

I'd drop the flavor hops, consider increasing the crystal to a full pound, and almost certainly increase the amount of blueberries... although if you're okay with the blueberry extract, 4 lbs is probably fine.

Thanks for the help!

I was considering increasing either the Vienna or the Crystal. I will also increase the blueberries to as much as will fit in my fermenter. I guess this will be somewhat of an experimental batch and I will tweak it for next time.

I will be getting the ingredients on Saturday, so any other advice before then is welcome.

Back