Advice on American Amber/IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpyfer22

Reaction score
I have just bottled my first batch of home brew and am excited to get started on a second. My first batch was an extract recipe for an APA that has been tasting great so far. I have been thinking of using the AHS red IPA kit, but changing the hop schedule a little to make it more my own. I'm going for a SN Celebration type beer, with Chinook, Amarillo, and Centennial. I have seen many clone recipes for the celebration, so I think this should have a similar profile w/ some differences.

AHS Red IPA: 1 1/2 lbs caramunich/crystal 120/special b
8 lbs LME
Yeast: west coast dry ale yeast (lallemand BRY-97)
60 min 5.5 gal boil
Pre-lim Hop schedule:
FWH 1oz Chinook
20 mins 1/2oz Cenntenial 1/2oz Amarillo
10mins 1/2 Cenntenial 1/2oz Amarillo 1/2oz Chinook
0mins 1/2 Cenntenial 1/2oz Amarillo 1/2 oz Chinook
10days Dry Hop 1/2oz Cenntenial 1/2 oz Amarillo

My first batch (APA w/ magnum and cascade) was a partial boil of about 2.5 gals and even after a 10 day dry hop w/ 2oz Cascade was not as hoppy as I would have liked. So I went out and got a 30qt. brew pot so I can get a full boil. I'm under the impression this will increase my hop utilization so I was wondering what some other home brewers have to say about the above recipe. I am much more familiar w/ hops than grains, which is why im using a kit as a starting point. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :mug:
* have not done any calculations for ibus, abv, or OG/FG yet (just got my hydrometer)

*EDIT well I guess I was dreaming to get some Amarillo, just got back from LHBS and they have been out for awhile. Decided to replace w/ Citra instead, which I did not expect to find. Sub Citra for all the Amarillo... sounds tasty to me

To clarify I now have 2oz of whole leaf Chinook, 2oz whole leaf Citra, and 2oz whole leaf organic Centennial.
Citra alpha 15.6 Chinook alpha 13.0 Centennial alpha 6.2
I'm looking to grab that nice piney resin like flavor from the Chinook, floral citrus from the Cent, and everything Citra has to offer esp that nice tropical fruit flavor/aroma. I imagine I will need to adjust the hop schedule a little. Maybe dry hop the Citra and Chinook? Any thoughts? Seems like this should be a nice flavorful beer

I have a revised hop schedule now after some considerations and calculations...
1oz Chinook at 60 mins
.5oz Centennial .5oz Citra at 20mins
.5oz Centennial .5oz Citra at 10mins
.5oz Centennial .5oz Citra at 0mins
Dry hop 7-10days of .5oz Centennial .5 oz Citra .5 Chinook
This gives me a total of ~55 ibus after my calculations. I wanted to avoid too much of the piney Chinook and really let the citrusy fruit flavors come through, but I feel like the Chinook in the dry hop would be a nice touch. It most definitely could get lost in the Citra since I've read that it can be over powering in the dry hop. Would love to hear some thoughts on the final schedule/recipe.
Cheers:mug:

I'm brewing an RIS this weekend and am seriously considering using BRY-97. What was your experience?

So, when you say the first beer wasnt hoppy enough, are you saying it wasn't bitter enough? not enough hop flavor or aroma? all of the above?

Simply moving the Chinook to 90 minutes instead of 60 will increase bitterness. If you're wanting flavor and aroma, stick to late additions (20 minutes or less). If its for that really resiny aroma, go for a dry hop.

Regarding hop utilization: most modern studies actually show that hop utilization is only minimally increased by doing a full boil. You'll get more out of just increasing the boil time to 90 minutes, or increasing the amount of hops you add, rather than doing a full boil. If you don't believe me, go ask Yooper.

I'm brewing an RIS this weekend and am seriously considering using BRY-97. What was your experience?

I just brewed a rye ipa with a og of 1.060 and it got it down to 1.012 after only 4 days at 72 degrees. It has since been moved to secondary for some dry hops and clearing. Im surprised how my samples tasted. Really low esters, and low fruitiness. I usually use us-05 at 68 and still get some esters. Im having a good experience from this yeast so far and ill continue to use it on other styles. Next will be cream ale.

Back