Advice on adding fruit and fruit beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I have a lot of raspberries and cherries in my freezer, and want to use it in a couple of different beers. Looking for help/advice/experience. Sours are too long term, and I already have Krieks and Framboise bottled.

- What beer goes well with the fruit?

I was thinking about a Porter, with some vanilla. I've tried lighter beers in the past, and they really didn't turn out well, but it may have been my problem rather than the beer.

- How should I prepare the fruit?

The only way I have used fruit in the past has been to mash it, add a little water and heat to about 160 to pasteurize. Cool, and then add.

Is there a better way? Mash it, add a little water and a campden tablet for 24 hours, or other method?

- How much fruit per gallon?

Is 2 lbs too much or too little?

1. Raspberries are a great addition to wheat beers. From what I've seen recommendation is to freeze them to break cell walls then thaw to room temp and add to secondary since the higher alcohol content will reduce chances for contamination.

As far as how much, I'd say at least one LB per gallon of beer, but that also depends on what fruit you're using.

July-August BYO has a nice article on brewing with fruit along with prep and how much to use for different fruits

Lbs per gallon depends on the fruit you're using. Cherries need to be around 2-2.5 lb per gallon. Raspberries are more assertive so you wouldn't need as much

I've been wondering about fruit myself lately. The contamination factor is what worries me the most. Before you freeze the fruit do you do anything to wash it or pasteurize first?

Back