Advice on a Refrigerator Kegerator Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the75

Reaction score
Hi, I'll be picking up a fridge off craigslist & converting it into a kegerator. I'm thinking I should go with a large fridge to fit as many kegs as I can. I'm shooting for 5 beers on tap at any one time. Maybe 20+ cubic feet? I'm thinking top/bottom most likely, but that freezer dead space really annoys me. Is there anyway to cut through the top & bottom divide & regulate the entire unit into one big fridge? I also want to have at least one sanke connect because I have a connect at Stone that I get 1/6 bbl kegs from. I'm actually thinking about starting with a sanke conversion kit, then incorporating more parts to get into corny's. I found this kit online (is this a good deal?): http://www.kegworks.com/standard-ke...-us-sankey-coupler-w-5lb-co2-tank--423-p16422

How hard will it be to incorporate a few more lines for my soon to be acquired corny kegs? Will it just be a manifold for the CO2, taps for the corny's, & more spouts?
Any advice from those who have built already would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. I'll take your comments off the air.

I actually thought of cutting through that top/bottom divider on my kegerator too but found out that depending on the make/model you could have lines running through it. I eyeball measured mine and figure I might be able to squeeze four kegs in it but it isn't really practical. I always find I run out of room for beer that I buy. I also bought my kit from kegworks and have been pleased with it price-wise. You can find cheaper bits and bobs on ebay and craigslist and other online homebrew retailers but if I had to build another kegerator I would definitely use kegworks again.

Any idea on lines? What I mean is are there a couple lines? A network of lines? Something that I can work around? Or is it different for each model?

No idea what pattern the lines may be in for your fridge, if they are there. I have my CO2 bottle outside of my fridge going through the side. I found exploded parts diagrams for my make and model ( a Roper) but I really stink at figuring out how everything fits together unexploded. I did see that there were lines on the sides and between the freezer and fridge compartments for my model (they are in a back and forth/ zigzag pattern but don"t always go edge to edge) but I just couldn't be sure enough of where they were exactly to trust myself not to screw something up. What I eventually did was to CAREFULLY use a screw driver to break through the interior plastic and the insulation until I was positive I wouldn't hit anything. Once I was sure I was clear I finished up by drilling a slightly too small hole (so the CO2 line has a tight fit) through the metal side of the fridge. If you can't find parts diagrams and aren't too concerned with the appearance of the inside of the fridge you could try the screwdriver "method." If you find too many lines, you could probably cover them back up with Great Stuff and sand/chisel it flat. I don't think they can be bent out of the way though. Sorta like copper tubing for an immersion chiller, they'll just kink up on you.

Back