Advice on a Amber recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jurassic410

Reaction score
Found this one online from a brewery I went to last year in SanDiego. They make some really great beers.

5gal batch

6lb Amber LME
2lb Pale 2row
1lb crystal 60L
.5lb crystal 120L
.5lb crystal 20L
.5lb carapils

1oz Galena
1oz Liberty

WLP028 Scottish ale yeast

My questions are; I would rather use DME instead of LME. Would I have to decrease the amount of DME? If I wanted to only use about 3lb of DME, what grains should I bump up to fill in for less extract?

Any other pointers in variations of yeast or grains to use would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you are set on steeping that much crystal malt, I would drop the amber LME and use a golden / pilsner LME instead. The amber LME already contains crystal malts, which would add to the significant amount that you have in the recipe.

I don't know which beer that is supposed to emulate, but it looks like a VERY sweet, 'thick' beer with that much crystal malt as well as amber LME. I think the recipe is suspect, but without knowing the beer or what is desired from it, it's just my first thought. That's a lot of crystal, plus there is crystal in amber LME as well so it seems cloying to me.

Anyway, in general, 1 pound of two-row base grain = .75 pound pale LME = .6 pound light DME. so you can easily reduce the extract, and add more grain or sub DME for LME with those proportions. So, if you wanted to take out 2 pounds of LME and use DME instead, just use 25% less DME than you would LME.

It'd be trickier with the 'amber' part, as you'd have to add some crystal malt to really sub it correctly, but there is already a boatload of crystal malt in there and I'd hesitate to add more.

Gotcha, these are the types of responses i was looking for. Thanks for the info. Might just scrap this recipe or substitute the amber LME for golden/pilsner DME and steep the crystal.

Latest posts

Back