advice needed

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

austin_hubbell

Reaction score
Hi,
I need some advice on what to do. My Dunkelweizen has stopped fermenting, its final gravity is 1.024. The OG was 1.078 by the way. I don't know what I should do. I have taken four consecutive readings all 1.024. Should I just bottle it and hop it is not too sweet, should I try and repitch it to get it down some, any ideas or advice would help.

OP
A

austin_hubbell

Reaction score
6lb Bavarian Wheat DME
8oz Caramunich
4oz Pale Chocolate
4 oz Carafa Special II
1oz Perle
safbrew t-58

Gravity was high due to batch size if that helps.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Warm it up, swirl the fermenter, add energizer. If that doesnt work then you could repitch but it looks like your terminal gravity is pretty close.

ghpeel

Reaction score
T-58 is known for being not particularly attenuative. Its part of it makes a good bottling strain. This is probably as low as it will go. You could theoretically dose it with another yeast strain if you wanted to dry it out, but I say just let it rest another week or 3 just to make sure, then bottle it.

Also, T-58 is not really a "proper" yeast for Dunkelweizen. Your beer will probably be delicious, but it will be more like a spicy/peppery/clove Belgian Dubbel than a real Dunkelweizen. Keep that in mind if you're trying to compare your beer to a commercial Dunkelweizen.

I've always wanted to a a Dunkelweizen grain bill with a Belgian yeast, so props to you for trying it, even if it was an accident.

Latest posts