Advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadKarma

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I tried my hand at my 1st mead. Very simple recipe in a 1 gal jug, 2 lbs honey, 1 gal apple juice and cinnamon stick and cloves. It's the 4th day in and bubbles are starting to pop out. My problem: It would seem that I didn't get it mixed well and the honey has settled to the bottom!!!!!!

I was tempted to just grab it and shake the crap out of it to see what happened, but I resisted and posted here instead.

Starting over is fine, since there is not a lot of time or funds involved, but if it can be saved so much the better.

Thanks

If you're 4 days into fermentation, I wouldn't shake it if I were you; you could end up with a volcano-like reaction with sticky juice/honey/yeast gushing out the airlock. I'd just let it be. Regards, GF.

Yeah, when I thought about shaking it, that's the 1st mental picture I had and I averted my hand to the beer cooler just in time!!!! As I was pondering this over a nice old porter, I decided to present this problem to the wise oracle of HBT.

This reminds me of this one time I was aerating a batch of mead after fermentation had started, and the amount of bubbling nearly made the mead explode out!

If you were taking gravities readings, you'd know if you COULD stir/shake it to mix the honey up; I usually aerate before the 1/3 sugar break anyway. But, there's always the potential for blowback, so you'd want to be careful :D

UPDATE!!

Sunday I couldn't help myself, I grabbed the jug and gave it a good swirl!!!!! The yeast raised hell and the airlock started bubbling like crazy. Monday morning I looked and the honey has been incorporated into the mead and all is happily gurgling away. It's now keeping pace bubble for bubble with the English Bitters I brewed on Saturday. I can really smell the cloves in the mead!!!!

Back