advice for o2 aeration system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbarto

Reaction score
i've been reading the threads on aeration and came to the conclusion that i need to get an o2 system. my rationale is that i like to brew relatively thick beers (1.060+ OG) and i've been doing all grain, so I need as much o2 as possible. but, i'm cheap so this is my plan:

1. 2m Aeration stone ~ 15$
2. High pressure tubing ~ 3$
3. 1.4 Oz. Oxygen Fuel Cylinder ~ 9$ (Lowes)
regulator? do i need one? how much $?

In your experience, is this a good plan? What else do I need? How many 5gal batches can I expect that fuel cylinder to last me? Will this outfit reduce the need for making a starter, or should I still do that?

Advice is greatly appreciate... this place is great. Thanks.

I think I picked up the valve, tubing, and S/S airation stone for $23, it came as a set. I forget what site I got it from.

I do think that you will need the regulator. My setup has a sanitary filter. You should still make a starter, especially with higher gravity brews. They will like the O2. I run it about 2 minutes with the bubbles just barely visible on the surface.

You most certainly need a regulator, but it doesn't need to be fancy. morebeer.com has this one for $25. If it doesn't come with instructions, just realize that it's left-hand threaded, so you'll have to think backwards when attaching it to the tank.

5567.jpg

EDIT: Homebrew Heaven has the whole kit for $35 - I have it, and it works great!

drost said:
They also sell the whole kit with the stainless steel rod for $36.90

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAM_S_OXYGEN_AERATION_SYST_P699.cfm

Thanks. I went ahead and ordered this kit. My LHBS sells a similar kit with no metal wand for 60$! A wee bit more than I wanted to spend with the shipping, but it looks like this will get the job done easily.

I've got a pretty heavy Octoberfest in the works right now so I'll make a similar brew next round and compare the results.

I have just used my aeration setup for the last 2 batches, and WOW, it's really made a difference for my fermentations!

Good luck with yours!

Back