Advice for my RIS grain bill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrumWulf

Reaction score
So I started formulating an all grain Russian Imperial Sout recipient and was wondering if it looked up to par to some with more expierence in the style.

Up dated 5 gallon recipie
20lbs 2 row pale malt
.50lb crystal 120
.50lb crystal 80
2 lbs roasted barley
.25 lbs black patent or debittered black malt
1lb caraffa 1
.50 special b
3.oz first gold @60 min
1.oz east kent Golding @10 min
1028 wyeast London ale
Predicted OG 1.117
Predicted IBUs 80
SRM 60
Mash temp 154-158 60min
Strike water 167
Sparge temp 170
Not sure of my boil time yet

I'd use more roast malts and less or no crystal. 1/2lb in total of patent malt and roast barley seems very little. I'd replace the two pounds of crystal for brown malt and up the roast malts to about a pound. Also, make sure to hit the IBUs on this, you don't want it come around too sweet. The dark candi syrup will work just ok.

Thanks for the advice
My ibus are coming out in the high sixties in my calculator but I'll double check one I have my hops to make adjustments

I'd say take 1/2 lb off both crystals, then add 1/2 lb to roasted barley and black patent. I'll second the need to hit IBUs, as well.

Recommend about 10-12% roasted malts, you have way too little right now.

Crystal/roasted malt balance is way out of whack. A pound is fine if that's your thing, but 2 lbs is a bit excessive.

What is your OG? Mash temp? Yeast? Water profile? Fermentation conditions? Those are all important as well.

Back