Advice for my porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoxHound4690

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm currently brewing a porter using a 20L all grain kit so I don't have to do any boiling or anything time consuming like that as i'm still kind of learning. (all grain kits basically allow you to skip the whole boiling stage).

Anyway this porter i'm brewing at the moment has an O.G. of 1056 and is currently sitting on 1020 where it seems to be stuck. I've been advised to leave it for another few days and see if it stays there or keeps going. I was also told that because it's a bit higher of an O.G. it might stop at 1020 for that reason as well, does that sound correct or not?

Also, is it good to leave it for an extra week or so in the fermenter so it gives the yeast some time to clean up before bottling?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm currently brewing a porter using a 20L all grain kit so I don't have to do any boiling or anything time consuming like that as i'm still kind of learning. (all grain kits basically allow you to skip the whole boiling stage).

Anyway this porter i'm brewing at the moment has an O.G. of 1056 and is currently sitting on 1020 where it seems to be stuck. I've been advised to leave it for another few days and see if it stays there or keeps going. I was also told that because it's a bit higher of an O.G. it might stop at 1020 for that reason as well, does that sound correct or not?

Also, is it good to leave it for an extra week or so in the fermenter so it gives the yeast some time to clean up before bottling?

I think you would benefit a lot from reading a bit. http://www.howtobrew.com

Could you expand on the process you are using when doing a no boil, all grain brew?

So...to clarify...did you 1) mash, 2) sparge, 3) transfer to fermenter, and 4) pitch yeast? Essentially no other steps?

Back