Advice for Lagering with Big Mouth Bubbler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TkmLinus

Reaction score
I plan on brewing a lager next weekend and I have never lagered before. I plan on using Saflager W-34/70 and fermenting at 50 degrees for about 2 weeks. Going to bring the temp up to 64 for a diacetyl rest for 2 days, then lager around 32 degrees(whatever is the coldest my my mini fridge can get) for 2-3 weeks. From there it will go to keg. I am going to ferment in a 6.5 gallon plastic big mouth bubbler and my concern is when I start lagering concerning potential oxidation from air suck back through the air lock. I have an S-shaped airlock. Do I not worry and lager as is? Should I transfer to my 5 gallon big mouth bubbler before lagering to reduce headspace? Any other recommendations?

Also, after I keg it, is it ok to sit at room temperature for a month or two while the other kegs in rotation get emptied?

As always, thanks in advance!

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you lager in a fermenter just make sure you have a few psi to combat suckback . If you don't have a way to do that I'd just lager it in the keg. What is your timeline for lagering ?

You don't want to transfer beer any more then you have to .

yowzers

Reaction score
I agree with lagering in the keg. No real need to leave it in the fermenter with potential for exposure to air. Yes you can store it at room temp for a few weeks

OP
T

TkmLinus

Reaction score
If you lager in a fermenter just make sure you have a few psi to combat suckback . If you don't have a way to do that I'd just lager it in the keg. What is your timeline for lagering ?

You don't want to transfer beer any more then you have to .
My only problem with lagering in the keg is that my fermentation chamber isn't tall enough to hold a keg, and my kegerator holds only 2 kegs(1 beer keg, 1 cider for the SO). The misses would not agree with no cider for three weeks, and I don't think I could go 3 without homebrew! I currently can't ferment under pressure. I am planning on fermenting 2 weeks, diacetyl rest, lagering for three weeks, warming it up and dry hopping for 3-5 days. My current plan is to ferment in my 6.5 gallon fermenter, transfer to my 5 gallon fermenter for lagering, lager, dry hop, then keg. I wish I could skip the transfer, but not sure how I could with my current set up.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My only problem with lagering in the keg is that my fermentation chamber isn't tall enough to hold a keg, and my kegerator holds only 2 kegs(1 beer keg, 1 cider for the SO). The misses would not agree with no cider for three weeks, and I don't think I could go 3 without homebrew! I currently can't ferment under pressure. I am planning on fermenting 2 weeks, diacetyl rest, lagering for three weeks, warming it up and dry hopping for 3-5 days. My current plan is to ferment in my 6.5 gallon fermenter, transfer to my 5 gallon fermenter for lagering, lager, dry hop, then keg. I wish I could skip the transfer, but not sure how I could with my current set up.
Sounds like you need a bigger kegerator lol. Just tell the SO you need a kegerator or she's gonna be wo cider for a bit lol.....jk

All you really need is to be able to keep the psi about 2 during your lagering , just to keep the fv from sucking in o2. You don't need much psi at all. You could do the Ballon trick . However if you could rig up a way to connect the co2 to your 6 gallon that be the way.

If it's still questionable I'd look at either waiting to brew the lager until the timing is better , or bottle the cider in bombers then you have a free keg to lager . Unless the beer keg has less then the cider keg , then just bottle the beer instead.
Sorry if I'm not very clear .

Deric

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe try this...

OP
T

TkmLinus

Reaction score
Maybe try this...

That looks like the ticket! Just ordered one, I imagine it should be here by the time I start lagering. Thanks!