advice for Belgian Witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ct_beer

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to brewing and am interested in a kit that resembles a beer that I recently tried. It was a Belgian Witbier. A friend told me to try BLUE MOON (Coors brand) which was similar in taste.

I was wondering, are there are any Malt Extract kits on the market that are similar to this style that I could try to get close to that taste?

Is this similar to what is described as a Wheat beer (i.e. Muntons Wheat or Black Rock Whispering Wheat)?

Many thanks in advance,
darren

Look in the recipe section here. You might find something better than a prefabricated kit. I just brewed one a few weeks back and based it on the recipes here. It's a long fermentation too, in my experience at least. It would help to know what you drank in the first place.

I am brewing a Belgian Witbier extract kit for Brewmaster select right now. Steeeping the grains right now.

Kit includes:
5lbs of Wheat DME
2 cups of Belgian caramel Pils Malt
1oz Glacier hops (bittering)
1/2 oz Hallertauer hops(flavoring)
1oz Coriander
1tsp Cumin
1oz Curacao orange Peel
1oz Styrian Golding(finishing)

Est S.G. 1.046
Safbrew#S-33 yeast

I would opt for WLP570 liquid yeast for this. You'd need to make a starter.

Then, for a 5-gallon extract brew, 6 lbs of wheat DME, 2-4 oz of willamette hops, and add the crushed coriander and orange peel during the last 5 minutes of the boil.

ok, thanks for those insights. sorry, but i'm not at such an advanced stage of brewing. I'm not even sure what all the ingredients are that you're using, much less how to use them. I'm looking for some simple information regarding extract brewing. I have my own business and two kids, no time for long brewing sessions. I just want to do baby steps here.

Can anyone take a crack at the initial questions? I'm not looking for a recipe.

Many thanks,
darren

ok, thanks for those insights. sorry, but i'm not at such an advanced stage of brewing. I'm not even sure what all the ingredients are that you're using, much less how to use them. I'm looking for some simple information regarding extract brewing. I have my own business and two kids, no time for long brewing sessions. I just want to do baby steps here.

Many thanks,
darren
Jeez man, sorry. i thought i did answer your question. i only do extract brewing. I found my recipe here. You should check out Austin Homebrew Supply. They have extract recipe kits for whatever the heck it is you want. Having two kids shouldn't stop you from making beer. Have them help. Make the buggers work for their room and board. :rockin:

and you never said what variety you had, so how can we suggest a kit if we don't know what you had?

Many thanks,
darren

The recipe I posted was from a extract kit i picked up from the HBS. Everything including very instructions was included. 1 hour 30 min start to finish.

Austinhomebrew actually has a clone kit for Blue Moon. Its a fairly simple brew to make if you choose the extract option. They have a couple other whitbier kits as well. And yes, most whitbier is similar to a regular wheat beer, but with some orange peel and corriander in the mix, and the right yeast of course.

Many thanks,
darren

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_43_210&products_id=10902

I did Belgian Wit from Midwest, Northern Brewer, AHS (partial mash, still fermenting) and AHS Blue Moon clone. All come out really good if you use liquid yeast. I would not make a wheat beer without liquid yeast.

Back